• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-017a - Will Not Run

warteetee

I have a MEP-017a 5kw gas generator that I just can't seem to get to run. I can rire it up with some motivation fluid (ether) but it will only run for about 5 seconds and then it shuts down right away. it doesn't matter if I keep squirting fluid or not, it just stops. I can then wait a few seconds and fire her right back up and then again, 3-5 seconds later it just shuts right off again.

I have the 5kw deisel generator as well it it too would shut of after a couple seconds and I narrowed it down to low oil shut off. I have checked the oil in the MEP-017a and it is right where it should be - could the sensor be bad and it is shutting it down?

I have replaced the fuel line and checked the fuel pump and I am getting fuel to the carb.

I am stumpped aua at this point and was hoping the wisom here might have some ideas.

I have checked the old posts related to the MEP-017a's and was not able to find anything to help correct the issue I am having.

Thanks

jbk

wont electric start in emerg. run position. used when you pull start. as soon as it fires up move the switch to emerg. run, it will bypass some saftys. sounds like you need a carb. these are avaiable nos. 50.00 bucks

warteetee

I fired up in normal and cut over to emergency right away and she cut down just the same as before. I think you are correct about the carb. Plan to order a new carb this week. Can the safety switches be acquired and replaced rather easily or is this a big task? Thanks again for the help - will advise if the carb does the trick.

jbk

saturn surplus has all your needs on this engine. you could remove the carb. while your waiting on a new one. open it up, some carb. cleaner and maybe you can get it to run.

Carl_in_NH

Read the TM on the 017A; when you go from 'normal' to 'emergency run' you _have_ to blip the starter switch into the start position or it will shut down. There are many tricky things about military gensets - and guessing how to run it will typically result in failure. Emergency run mode bypasses the oil and overheat interlocks - but to run the starter, you have to be in the normal mode, then release the starter switch once it fires, flip into 'emergency run' and then blip the starter switch to keep it going.

Don't just scan through the TM quickly - read it cover to cover, then start looking over some of the old PS magazine articles on gensets - lots of wisdom to be had while sitting in front of the computer.

If you remove the carb and rinse it out with carb cleaner and use, round, welding torch tip files you may get it working for next to nothing. Don't actually "file" the holes just pass the biggest one that will fit through easily once or twice. This is just to be sure you have clear holes. Some times you will clean out the offending debris and never actually see it. A very small bit in just the right place can cause a world of frustration.
If the tip files are not small enough there is a very small drill bit set for just this situation. You cannot use them without the "pin vise".
The big bit is about 0.025. (25 thousandths) The smallest is around 0.005. (5 thousandths)

Be sure you have a large clean table to dissemble it on. A sheet of masonite with a plain white side is best. Use the white side so any parts that get dropped will be easier to find. There are some really small parts in carbs. Drop them in the gravel and they are most likely gone forever.

e

warteetee

Thanks for all of the tips. I went ahead and got a nos carb, installed her this afternoon and had it running and generating in less than 15 minutes. I had taken apart the carb but not sure if there was blockage as indicated above.

The baby is working and now she is a good back up to the mep-002a. Guess I got lucky that I picked up the mep-017a that only needed a oil fill tube cap and this mep-017a that only needed a carb. Both run like gems now.

Thanks all

M114

Carl, I read TM 5-6115-332-14 as best as I could. Are you referring to this TM?
I could not find anything that mentioned the "oil and overheat interlocks".
Could you recommend a solution as my MEP-017A ran great until last week. Now I must put the Emergency run/Stop switch in Emergency Run to have it run.

Read the TM on the 017A; when you go from 'normal' to 'emergency run' you _have_ to blip the starter switch into the start position or it will shut down. There are many tricky things about military gensets - and guessing how to run it will typically result in failure. Emergency run mode bypasses the oil and overheat interlocks - but to run the starter, you have to be in the normal mode, then release the starter switch once it fires, flip into 'emergency run' and then blip the starter switch to keep it going.

Don't just scan through the TM quickly - read it cover to cover, then start looking over some of the old PS magazine articles on gensets - lots of wisdom to be had while sitting in front of the computer.