• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 018 A / 4A084 mag problems

ozark*

I'm trying to get my 018 gen set running and don't have any spark. The points seem to be OK but no spark. The manaul says I can just flip the mag and get a spark (it's out of the engine of course) but I get nothing. Is there some way to test the mag ?

Also I need the top cover for the engine ,

Thanks

liftman

You say you have the magneto out of the engine. When you turn the drive end by hand, do you feel some resistance and then hear a loud click? This click should happen each time a spark is sent to the plug wire teminal. If you don't hear a click, the impulse coupling is not working. If that doesn't work, you will not get a spark at slow speed.

If you hear the click and still don't get a spark, be sure that the condenser terminal on the outside of the magneto case that the grounding wire connects to is not grounded to the case. Also check to see if the condenser itself is shorted to the case. Either of these will also cause no spark at all, as the grounding tab attached to the condenser is what shuts the engine off when the switch on the control panel is held to stop.

ozark*

I found my trouble

Thanks for the help with my mag. Got it working today. I cleaned the points but I guess not good enough. I cleaned them again and it works now oncve I figured out you have to remove the govenor to replace the mag.

Thanks again

panzerwillie

It makes it easier when you remove the governor to reinstall the MAG i got a MEP-018A that i have for back up got it hook up on natural gas here are some pictures
DSCN5361.jpg

DSCN5346.jpg

DSCN5345.jpg
:-D

DSCN5343.jpg

sinkaferd

Hello Colonel panzerwillie,
I have a MEP 018 and still trying to get it going. It has a voltage regulator problem of which two different repair shops couldn't fix, and I've learned this is a typical problem with these gen sets. While looking on here for help, I see you have converted yours to natural gas. Impressive!! I looked into getting a conversion kit to propane as natural is not available out here in the boonies, but am holding off.... one thing at a time.
Did you build your conversion, or is it a kit ? Please, if you don't mind, tell me about your change over. Thanks, ( Newby) sinkaferd

Last edited:

sinkaferd

Mep 018

Welcome to the site sinkaferd. Not inexpensive but new regulators are available. Here is one source.

Voltage Regulator For 3/5/10 KW Military Generator Sets MEP-016A / MEP-017A / MEP-018A, 13219E0883

Not sure if you are aware that you do not want to idle the engine. That will cause the regulator to fry it's self.
Thanks for the info DieselBob. I have already learned the hard way, and did get that repaired. My problem now is it willl only run in emergency mode for short time, then oil pressure drops (3-5 min.) and engine stops. I've changed the oil to 15w40 thinking oil too thin, but not the answer. Changed oil press sending unit. No dice. I had the voltage regulator looked at by a circuit board repair facility and they found faulty components, but declined to fix it.
Now I've learned about SS, and all you comrads, and ready to learn ......if I can figure out how to manuver this excellant format. Thanks for the resource, I'll check it out. Sinkaferd

Last edited:

sinkaferd

I think you need to get the unit running first before you wory about gas convertion, what is the problem you having again:oops:
Good evening colonel, and thanks for your reply. I've been told the voltage regulator on all the MEP's can be needy. I had mine looked at and it was found there were bad components, but they declined to repair. Since learning this I'v learned about SS and am tickled to find fellow G.I.'s , and all these military toys! Just wish I were rich. (I joined the senior citizens this year) So...... I'm all ears about getting my generator up and running. Thanks again, Sinkaferd

DieselBob

My problem now is it willl only run in emergency mode for short time, then oil pressure drops (3-5 min.) and engine stops. I've changed the oil to 15w40 thinking oil too thin, but not the answer. Changed oil press sending unit. No dice.
That doesn't sound good. When you have it in the “Emergency” position it overrides all the safeties for oil pressure and engine temp. Does it just die like you switched it from run to stop or does it slowly decrease rpm and stop. Also have you tried installing a temporary mechanical oil pressure gauge just to verify the oil pressure.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site, Sinkaferd.
How easily does your engine start? The oil pressure switch is also bypassed during "start", but may be questionable and cause the shut-down a little later later.

I had fuel problems on mine, fuel pump and carb...

sinkaferd

Mep 018

That doesn't sound good. When you have it in the “Emergency” position it overrides all the safeties for oil pressure and engine temp. Does it just die like you switched it from run to stop or does it slowly decrease rpm and stop. Also have you tried installing a temporary mechanical oil pressure gauge just to verify the oil pressure.
Hello DieselBob,
I understand about the overide, and agree not good. It cranks ok but doesn't fire too quickly. I've had to inject raw gas into intake and it takes off and runs 3-5 minutes then dies like shutting it off. I've had the fuel pump rebuilt and not tried to start it for about a year. Incidently, the oil pressure drops from 40 psi down to 15-20 psi for a short time then down to 0 psi at which time, engine stops.
Just today I talked to panzerwillie and he also suggested a manual oil pressure gage, which is my next assignment. Also, I forgot to tell you the engine only has 254 hours on it, (1968 issue) so it seems likely something has been faulty from the get-go.
Thanks for your help and thoughts on this project Pvt. Sinkaferd

sinkaferd

Welcome to the site, Sinkaferd.
How easily does your engine start? The oil pressure switch is also bypassed during "start", but may be questionable and cause the shut-down a little later later.

I had fuel problems on mine, fuel pump and carb...
Hello cranetruck, and thanks for the welcome. I'm having alittle trouble manuvering around the web site but enjoying disussing the subject with those of you with knowledge and experience.
My engine had been hard to start before I had the fuel pump rebuilt, but I haven't tried it since about a year ago. I'm kind of hesitent to try running it until I find out what is going on with the oil pressure. I had the switch replaced but it is still shutting down. I have only recently (after trying to sell it) learned about SS and have gained new enthusiasum!
Nice to make your acquiance, and I'll take all the information and help I can get. Sinkaferd

sinkaferd

Roger that cranetruck. It is something to consider, however, mine only has 254 hours on it.... hardly broken in, unless a ring is stuck ? I'll have to look around for my compression tester. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks