• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-018a and 017 pre startup

M0SES

Hi all,
I recently acquired a few generators, I'm in the process of cleaning them up and want to get them going. I'm looking for any first steps I should take. I'm in the process of going through the TM. I need batteries, how many amps should I look for? Other new parts should probably be the fuel hoses and it looks like at least one of the fuel selector valves was busted.

anything else i should look for?

Thanks!

dependable

Just a heads up that the 017 & 018 are both loud and thirsty 3600 rpm gasoline burners. They will cost a lot more to run, per hour, than their newer diesel (or older gasoline 1800 rpm). Could be a good project, thought you should know before you invest a lot.

Still have an 018 out in the weeds, speaking from experience.

lxawolf

One thing is to look into the fuel tank. With my MEP-003a it was quite nasty. Full of nasty old yellow diesel fuel. I was able to clean it out and now looks nice and clean. So that could be a good thing to check. I do not know much about the 017 or 018 series but with many engine driven things are similar. The tings to remember are extra air filters, (if they are gasoline: spark plugs, clean out the carburetor) also change the engine oil, and filter, both fuel and oil. Ensue that you have extra everything on hand. No worse time to find that your low on engine oil in the middle of a storm and the low oil cut off does not let the engine start or stay running.

Ratch

$25 Lawnmower batteries should be sufficient for them. They should also have pulleys on the front for a pull start rope.

Pull the cover and look for loose wires and fittings. Be careful overspraying ether, I had one backfire and ignite the ether overspray.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks