• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 021D Help

gocmndo

I picked up a little diesel generator and need some guidence from the experts.
The Yanmar engine fires with one pull everytime and runs fantastic.

The problem is that I am getting no volts and it is running at 60 htz.

Before I really mess something up I want to get some advice.

I looked around for a tech. manual but not sure if mine is like other 3KW/5KW gensets.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

Keith_J

Why does the ID tag say it is a 400 Hz? Yet you have a 60 Hz frequency meter.

Main circuit breaker off? That would do it. Other issues are voltage regulator, there is a procedure to flash the field because if they aren't run in a while, residual magnetism in the field decays over time, meaning the generator cannot "bootstrap" by generating some AC to feed the bridge which then feeds the regulator that builds rotor magnetism that then generates more power.

It has been 23 years and I have forgot flashing the field specifics on that generator.

Isaac-1

The MEP-021D is the 400 hz version of the MEP-016D which is a gasoline powered MEP-016A or C which has been repowered with Yanmar 1 cylinder diesel. As of the last time I checked the manuals for the D revision have not been released, however you should be able to get the manuals for the MEP-016C online as PDF's. I have a MEP-016b (MEP-701a) which is powered by an Onan diesel, and shares the same manual with the MEP-021b, so I suspect the same is true on its cousins the A and C series.

On yours either the nameplate is wrong, or it is a 400 hz set that someone has placed a 60 hz meter on, likely to pawn off the 400 hz paperweight to some unsuspecting person. Having said there I have never heard of a Yanmar repower on a 400 hz MEP-016.

Ike

derf

The Yanmar is the jewel of the whole thing.
Your frame cage is missing. Isaac is probably right, that probably is a 400Hz set that someone stuck a 60Hz gauge in to pass it off.
If they doctored the gauge like that then the regulator might be missing, too. Look inside the box. If the regulator is there see where the wires go. The reg can be wired for 60 or 400 Hz. Changing the reg doesn't change the output, though. You need a 60Hz gen head instead of a 400Hz.

BTW, is that Yanmar an L70 or L100?

If you were closer I'd sell you my 3kW 016B gen head.

TM 5-6115-271-14 should cover the gen end.
I've posted links to commercial Yanmar manuals. You should be able to find them with a simple search.

Last edited:

gocmndo

Why does the ID tag say it is a 400 Hz? Yet you have a 60 Hz frequency meter.

Main circuit breaker off? That would do it. Other issues are voltage regulator, there is a procedure to flash the field because if they aren't run in a while, residual magnetism in the field decays over time, meaning the generator cannot "bootstrap" by generating some AC to feed the bridge which then feeds the regulator that builds rotor magnetism that then generates more power.

It has been 23 years and I have forgot flashing the field specifics on that generator.
Any suggestions on how to flash the field? I have been out in the garage all afternoon in my trench coat and nothing...:oops:

gocmndo

The MEP-021D is the 400 hz version of the MEP-016D which is a gasoline powered MEP-016A or C which has been repowered with Yanmar 1 cylinder diesel. As of the last time I checked the manuals for the D revision have not been released, however you should be able to get the manuals for the MEP-016C online as PDF's. I have a MEP-016b (MEP-701a) which is powered by an Onan diesel, and shares the same manual with the MEP-021b, so I suspect the same is true on its cousins the A and C series.

On yours either the nameplate is wrong, or it is a 400 hz set that someone has placed a 60 hz meter on, likely to pawn off the 400 hz paperweight to some unsuspecting person. Having said there I have never heard of a Yanmar repower on a 400 hz MEP-016.

Ike
When running the generator the htz meter is right at 62-64 htz.

I bought the generator from GL at the Hill Air force base.

gocmndo

The Yanmar is the jewel of the whole thing.
Your frame cage is missing. Isaac is probably right, that probably is a 400Hz set that someone stuck a 60Hz gauge in to pass it off.
If they doctored the gauge like that then the regulator might be missing, too. Look inside the box. If the regulator is there see where the wires go. The reg can be wired for 60 or 400 Hz. Changing the reg doesn't change the output, though. You need a 60Hz gen head instead of a 400Hz.

BTW, is that Yanmar an L70 or L100?

If you were closer I'd sell you my 3kW 016B gen head.

TM 5-6115-271-14 should cover the gen end.
I've posted links to commercial Yanmar manuals. You should be able to find them with a simple search.
I took the cage off to fit it under my bench. I looked under the box lid and I see the regulator and nothing looks missing, but really what do I know?

Attachments

Isaac-1

Before getting too far into things you may want to confirm the frequency with an external meter, the meter on these units is just a display gauge, the actual measurement is done by a transducer inside the cabinet that just tells the gauge a relative needle position through low level output voltage, it has no way to know what the face markings are on the gauge.

Ike

When running the generator the htz meter is right at 62-64 htz.

I bought the generator from GL at the Hill Air force base.

treeguy

Search flash field and mep002 or mep003. It has been talked about for those models. It's something like (sorry, I'm going to get slapped for saying info that I don't have the definite answer for but just trying to help someone out)
Run the unit then shut down and then start the unit up again. Its something like that, it worked for me when my genny sat and had no voltage and upon re-start up she did.

derf

Look at the red label on the voltage regulator. It should have wiring instructions for 3kW, 5kW, 60Hz, 400Hz, etc.
The red, black, and white wires should correspond to something on the chart on the red label on the voltage regulator.
I'll bet you'll find it is set for 3kW 400Hz.

derf

Look for a tag on the gen head, right behind the motor. I'm pretty sure my 016E has a tag that says 3kW 60Hz. It may just have a NSN number. If so, you can look that up. See pic. What does that tag say?

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks