• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-025A

patdufo

MEP-25A 28VDC
I have one of these for solar bank charging,it runs but not smooth like there is a litle back firing in the carb and runs on the slow side,output is about 60% but jumps when it sputters?I havvve read that the carbs are bad is there a replacement or fix?thanks

patdufo

MEP-25A 28VDC
I have one of these for solar bank charging,it runs but not smooth like there is a litle back firing in the carb and runs on the slow side,output is about 60% but jumps when it sputters?I havvve read that the carbs are bad is there a replacement or fix?thanks

I forgot to mention that there is a little arm near the thorotle bouncing around(I think it is the governor) should that have a spring?if so is it availiable?thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
OK, Back to the gen set. NDT brought up the E I (Electronic Ignition). Is the engine modified to have the EI?

1. If not, then you should look at adjusting the points. Are the points still good?
2. If you have the EI on the engine I would say that you should look at the Carburetor. Can you take pictures of the carb? That way we can look at it. Yes, the is supposed to be a small spring that Holds the choke in the open/closed position.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
MEP-25A 28VDC
Hello Pat,

Welcome to the Outfit!

The TM's that @Guyfang sent you will tell you a lot. In our group, he is the Official TM Nag :cool:

The "LO" TM (Technical Manual) is the Lube Order book that describes what the military specifies for this unit for Oil and Filters and maintenance frequency.

The "TM 5-6115-323-14" is the Operators Guide for generating power with the machine. The "323-24P" is the parts book for the generator part of the equipment.

The "TM 9-2805-257-14" is the manual for the power plant (engine) and "257-24P" is the parts book for the engine.

Looking forward to working with you and again - welcome to the group.

patdufo

MEP-25A 28VDC
How do I know if points or electronic ignition?Also what kit to look for?Thanks

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How do I know if points or electronic ignition?Also what kit to look for?Thanks
Remove the distributor cap. Look down inside and see if you see something similar. No, this isn't the real thing, but that barrel looking thing is the condenser and the points open and close as the shaft rotates in that hole in the center. In this picture the grayish bump towards the hole in the center opens and closes the points (contacts). The copper looking thing on this picture near the top center.

1698521549015.png

Electronic ignition might look like the picture below. Not necessarily Mallory (brand).

1698521710376.png

While you have the distributor cap off, look in the part of the cap where the wires plug in. There in the center is a carbon based contact. It's not worn flat - Right? The contacts on the outer diameter of the cap - generally made out of metal - they are corroded are they? If so and emory board (ladies nail file) can be used to clean those contacts. Blow out any dust that you might have created before you put it back together.

patdufo

Remove the distributor cap. Look down inside and see if you see something similar. No, this isn't the real thing, but that barrel looking thing is the condenser and the points open and close as the shaft rotates in that hole in the center. In this picture the grayish bump towards the hole in the center opens and closes the points (contacts). The copper looking thing on this picture near the top center.

View attachment 909237

Electronic ignition might look like the picture below. Not necessarily Mallory (brand).

View attachment 909239

While you have the distributor cap off, look in the part of the cap where the wires plug in. There in the center is a carbon based contact. It's not worn flat - Right? The contacts on the outer diameter of the cap - generally made out of metal - they are corroded are they? If so and emory board (ladies nail file) can be used to clean those contacts. Blow out any dust that you might have created before you put it back together.
Does it have distributor?I cant find one?ONly 2 cyl,thanks for the reply

patdufo

OK, Back to the gen set. NDT brought up the E I (Electronic Ignition). Is the engine modified to have the EI?

1. If not, then you should look at adjusting the points. Are the points still good?
2. If you have the EI on the engine I would say that you should look at the Carburetor. Can you take pictures of the carb? That way we can look at it. Yes, the is supposed to be a small spring that Holds the choke in the open/closed position.
Which of the TMs had info on finding if I have EI?And thanks for all of the help

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does it have distributor?I cant find one?ONly 2 cyl,thanks for the reply
Similar but different I'm afraid. Here is the information that you really need.

In the book, TM 9-2805-257-14 the instructions are on PDF Page 89

1698610324506.png

Breaker Type ignition instructions start on Page 4-46.
Breakerless ignition instructions start on Page 5-18 (PDF Page 142)

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, yes and no. Try looking at the TM's.

This is a 3 KW gen set. The long box on the side is the EI. On the 1.5 KW, it will look much like this.

1698617258682.png

The points cover will still be on the set, but under it, this stuff will no longer be there:
1698617420634.png

If you are still not sure, take some pictures of the engine and post them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks