• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-06A reverse power warning and ckt brkr light stays lit

I followed along on generatorshawn's post as it seems identical except for a couple of the readings.
I have no cables attached to the machine.
I can not use the battle short to close the circuit breaker.
I am not running in parallel and I have flipped the switch a couple of times to confirm.
I metered between 8-7 on the K15 and 8-ground and 7-ground all 0 volts
I metered between 5-6 on K14 and measured 4.9 volts
5-ground 0 volts and 6-ground was 4.9
metered between pin 6 on K14(wire p62h18) and pin 8 on K15(wire p61A18) it measured 0 volts.
If I need to do anything else please let me know or point me in the right direction. I have read through the TM's and the wiring schematics are basically gibberish. I appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

Guyfang

Staff member
Lets start with you telling us, what the problem is, and what the set will and will not do. 😂

Now I understand that you started your own thread. We need to get some more basic facts.

Guyfang

Staff member
Will the CB2, (Output Circuit breaker) light, (DS2) come on, if the engine is stopped and the S2, (Engine start stop switch) is in the run position?

Will the CB2, (Output Circuit breaker) light, (DS2) come on, if the engine is stopped and the S2, (Engine start stop switch) is in the run position?
I turn the start switch on and low oil pressure light is on. I start it and well I just started it and the reverse power light is not on but the circuit breaker light is. It dosent turn off…. I have a gremlin…😬

Guyfang

Staff member
You have not answered my question.

You have not answered my question.

Do you want me to flip the switch to run and not start the machine? If so the circuit breaker light does not come on. It illuminates as soon as I start the unit, and release the start switch. The circuit breaker light extinguishes when I turn the unit off.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Ok, back.

I find that hard to beleve.

1, The set, engine off, S2 in run position. The DS6, (AC output circuit breaker) will not come on.

2. As soon as you start the set, the DS6 comes on.

Now try this. Set off, S2 in the run position. Put S7, (Battle short) in the on position. The DS7, (battle short light) comes on. Will the DS6 come on? If not, push the S3, (AC output contactor switch) up. What happens?

Have you tested the Load terminals for voltage to make sure the CB2, (output contactor) REALLY closes? And not just the DS6 light coming on?

Ok, back.

I find that hard to beleve.

1, The set, engine off, S2 in run position. The DS6, (AC output circuit breaker) will not come on.

2. As soon as you start the set, the DS6 comes on.

Now try this. Set off, S2 in the run position. Put S7, (Battle short) in the on position. The DS7, (battle short light) comes on. Will the DS6 come on? If not, push the S3, (AC output contactor switch) up. What happens?

Have you tested the Load terminals for voltage to make sure the CB2, (output contactor) REALLY closes? And not just the DS6 light coming on?
Ok. So set off, S2 in the run position. I put s7(Battle short) in the on position. The DS7 and (batt;e short light) and the circuit breaker light (DS6?)
comes on.
I did test output and it seems as if the breaker switch is working. but the circuit breaker light is on when I open or close the breaker switch.

Guyfang

Staff member
The CB2 is what controls the DS6. DS6 can only come on when the contacts in the CB2 close. So what we need to do now, is check and see if the wires on S3. The schematics are on the door, and in the books. Can you follow schematics? You need to check each wire # at S3, and what position they are hooked up to. And if all is correct, you need to do the same with S7.

The CB2 is what controls the DS6. DS6 can only come on when the contacts in the CB2 close. So what we need to do now, is check and see if the wires on S3. The schematics are on the door, and in the books. Can you follow schematics? You need to check each wire # at S3, and what position they are hooked up to. And if all is correct, you need to do the same with S7.
I will take some time and follow. it is cold and wet out right now and this is definitely not a priority. I do want to get this dialed in though and I really do appreciate your assistance. The light didn't use to be on all the time so I am thinking something happened. I was running it and the breaker switch popped and the unit would shut down. I ended up renting a gen to complete my job. I finally had a couple of minutes and fired it up and the reverse power light and the circuit breaker light was on and now the reverse power light isn't on anymore. and the breaker switch isn't popping.

Ok. This gen has been sitting since January. I do not use it but I am not willing to sell it with a known problem.
I put the batteries back in and it fired right up. Love real motors without all the emissions crap.! Now to the issues, as I know them.
Start it and hold the switch up until gauges show, and the alternator shows. let the start go and all gauges go to zero, Alternator gauge slowly falls to zero also. The DC control circuit breaker pull for emergency stop, does not move I can't push it in or pull it out. I am not great at following manuals for wiring, I am great at following instructions and changing parts. I appreciate any possible assistance

Guyfang

Staff member
Ok. This gen has been sitting since January. I do not use it but I am not willing to sell it with a known problem.
I put the batteries back in and it fired right up. Love real motors without all the emissions crap.! Now to the issues, as I know them.
Start it and hold the switch up until gauges show, and the alternator shows. let the start go and all gauges go to zero, (by all gauges, do you mean the AC volt gage and hertz gauge?) Alternator gauge slowly falls to zero also. (If the batteries are charged, the the Alternator should Drop slowly to zero. That means the batteries are fully charged) The DC control circuit breaker pull for emergency stop, does not move I can't push it in or pull it out. (Then it must be stuck in the on position, or the gen set would not work unless you wired past it. To ensure that it is not wired around the CB, Look at it. One set of contacts should have wire # P40NA hooked to it. The other contact should have wires #P141C and #P141D. Look and see if that is wired so. Then measure from ground to both sides of the CB. If it is stuck in the on position, thenboth sides should read 24 VDC.) I am not great at following manuals for wiring, I am great at following instructions and changing parts. I appreciate any possible assistance

If you start the set, and it runs fine until you let the S2 loose, then the AC volts and hertz drop to zero, then your set is getting initial excitation, and the the Static Exciter is not taking over.

Start it and hold the switch up until gauges show, and the alternator shows. let the start go and all gauges go to zero, (by all gauges, do you mean the AC volt gage and hertz gauge?) Alternator gauge slowly falls to zero also. (If the batteries are charged, the the Alternator should Drop slowly to zero. That means the batteries are fully charged) The DC control circuit breaker pull for emergency stop, does not move I can't push it in or pull it out. (Then it must be stuck in the on position, or the gen set would not work unless you wired past it. To ensure that it is not wired around the CB, Look at it. One set of contacts should have wire # P40NA hooked to it. The other contact should have wires #P141C and #P141D. Look and see if that is wired so. Then measure from ground to both sides of the CB. If it is stuck in the on position, thenboth sides should read 24 VDC.) I am not great at following manuals for wiring, I am great at following instructions and changing parts. I appreciate any possible assistance

If you start the set, and it runs fine until you let the S2 loose, then the AC volts and hertz drop to zero, then your set is getting initial excitation, and the the Static Exciter is not taking over.
Yes, when I start the unit and let go the AC volt gauge and hertz gauge drop. (The motor runs great)
I pulled the batteries out of the shop off of the trickle charger to start up the gen so yes the batteries were 100%...
The DC control circuit breaker Is not bypassed and I do have 24 VDC on both sides.
It sounds as if i need to replace the push pull circuit breaker and the static Exciter.

Guyfang

Staff member
I would fist tell you that the AC output CB, (CB2) needs to be checked, before replacement. It is a simple device, and easy to test. Remove it from the set. Six cables and a C-Plug. Get the -34 TM out and read the procedure. If I remember right, J-41 on the CB2, pins A&B are the coil. apply 24 VDC to them, the CB2 should close. Look at the test procedure for the AUX contacts, that turn on the DS6 (AC output light) I can not remember what pins, and its about time to go to bed. In any case, it simple to test. The CB2 is very well known for not being water tight, and is often found with water in it. Water makes rust and corrosion. So if CB2 doesn't test out right, take it apart and clean it up. Most of the time that works well.

As for the Exciter. Well, if S9-1 contacts do not reverse, when you let the S2 go on start up, then the exciter will not take over the operation of making and controlling AC voltage. The testing procedure is in the -34 TM and is not real complicated.

I would fist tell you that the AC output CB, (CB2) needs to be checked, before replacement. It is a simple device, and easy to test. Remove it from the set. Six cables and a C-Plug. Get the -34 TM out and read the procedure. If I remember right, J-41 on the CB2, pins A&B are the coil. apply 24 VDC to them, the CB2 should close. Look at the test procedure for the AUX contacts, that turn on the DS6 (AC output light) I can not remember what pins, and its about time to go to bed. In any case, it simple to test. The CB2 is very well known for not being water tight, and is often found with water in it. Water makes rust and corrosion. So if CB2 doesn't test out right, take it apart and clean it up. Most of the time that works well.

As for the Exciter. Well, if S9-1 contacts do not reverse, when you let the S2 go on start up, then the exciter will not take over the operation of making and controlling AC voltage. The testing procedure is in the -34 TM and is not real complicated.
I appreciate the information I have downloaded the TM's and will figure it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks