• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 095a general operation

JJones

I have an MEP 005a and it runs great. Having some issues with Hz. My question is what is the normal operating rpm.? On start up, with no manual throttle input, the Hz runs at 40. I can only get the Hz up to 60 with the manual throttle input. At WOT I have 61 Hz. Is that normal for this particular unit?

Thanks

Jerrmy

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1800 RPM for 60 Hz
You ought to download the TM's for that set and get familiar with them. They contain info such as what the RPM should be.

Frequency meter may not be reading correctly.
I'd suggest checking the frequency with something like a Kill-a-Watt meter or other external method.

JJones

I am checking Hz with an external meter . The Hz meter on the unit is bad. The TMs are very helpful, but how do I know when the unit is turning 1800rpm? There is no tach.

Scoobyshep

I have an MEP 005a and it runs great. Having some issues with Hz. My question is what is the normal operating rpm.? On start up, with no manual throttle input, the Hz runs at 40. I can only get the Hz up to 60 with the manual throttle input. At WOT I have 61 Hz. Is that normal for this particular unit?

Thanks

Jerrmy
You can use a laser tach, if you are using an external meter to watch frequency that should be sufficient as hz is directly related to rpm. You dont want to run that generator too slow as it puts alot of stress on the regulator. If you can't get the rpm high enough you may need to replace a fuel filter or the injector pump may need adjusted

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Stop. You are making this way more difficult then it has to be. First off, the RPM is not interesting for you. Hertz is interesting. Everyone has told you that RPM = Hertz. You have all the tools you need to find hertz/RPM. All you need is your multi meter that reads HERTZ. Plug it in the 120 volt outlet. Then adjust the manual throttle until you read 60 hertz on your multi Meter. THEN you have found 3600 RPM. The set is designed to make 60 hertz at 1800 RPM. Nothing simpler. Have you been trying to adjust the hertz with the Hertz rheostat? The 005A is NOT adjustable at the rheostat. Set the gen to run at 61-62 hertz, and never fool with the throttle again. Its not necessary.

On start up, with no manual throttle input, the Hz runs at 40.

Doing this is a sure way to make toast of your static exciter. Perhaps you need to look through the -12 TM a bit.

JJones

Thanks for all of your advise....it has been very helpful. I have done a lot of studying, research, phone conversations, and youtube videos. My issue with Hertz was an operational issue...

Now that I have that issue figured out, I am having sporadic voltage problems. 7 out of 10 times that I start, I run it up to 1800 rpm, hold the start button up for it to flash, the unit voltage is up at around 120 and it does fine tune adjust with the voltage rheostat. I have checked the convenience outlet as well as the lugs. It will run fine and produce the correct voltage under a mild load for several hours. The other three times, I go through the same process, but when I release the start button, the voltage drops to 48 volts. I can hold up the start button and the voltage will jump back up to 120. Release the start button and the voltage drops back to 48. I have checked all the connections and plug pins and all appear to be clean and tight....no corrosion. I have opened up the voltage regulator and do not see any visiable signs of failure...nothing discolored, burnt or swollen.
With issue being intermittent, it has been difficult to tract down.
Has anyone dealt with this type issue?

Thanks

Jeremy

Scoobyshep

I had something like this happen. Had a loose connection in the regulator.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks