• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 1040 for Off Grid Travel Trailer and Temp Power for Construction

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am writing to request advice or ideas for wiring a MEP 1040 generator to use at my off grid homestead site. I would like to use the generator for a couple of purposes-

1) Shore power for my small travel trailer that uses a typical 30 amp RV plug
2) Temporary power in the field for powering tools while building my cabin and shop buildings

My initial idea is to use a 30 amp RV receptacle wired to the generator with the weather head box attached to the outside of the generator. The generator would include a grounding rod. A standard RV shore power cable could then be used to plug into the travel trailer. Please see attached photo of 30 amp receptacle from Home Depot that I am planning to use.

Temporary power could also be plugged into the 30 amp receptacle. My idea is to wire an old salvaged breaker box with some 110 receptacles on a few of the breakers. The main feed to the panel would be wired to a RV-style shore power receptacle. The same RV shore power cable used to power the travel trailer could then be used to power my temporary power panel.

I look forward to hearing from the experts in the Steel Soldier’s community if you have used a similar setup or have suggestions to improve this idea.

Attachments

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are any of your tools 240V?

30 amps at 120V through an RV plug maxes out at 3600 watts. That is not enough to keep a 1040 from wet stacking. Even a 5kw generator would easily handle this and its likely the average load would be much lighter.

If your loads are limited to 3600 watts, you may be better served by a smaller Honda inverter generator or if you have loads with heavy starting needs, a 3kW power inverter run crom batteries and solar.

Also, +1 on the spider box. They are real handy around job or event sites.
20230930_101930.jpg

Last edited:

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many thanks for the advice. I am looking into a Spider Box.

I do have a small Honda 2200 watt generator but it is not quite enough to run the AC in my travel trailer with everything else. It’s been fine this winter but I know there are some long, hot days coming in TN. :)

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did some research on ‘wet stacking’ and decided my little trailer would not draw enough power for MEP 1040 to run efficiently. I did some research and found a “soft start” for the AC on my trailer that allows the Honda EU2200i power up the AC while still having enough power for everything else. I also have my EU2200i running on propane which is nice since I have a 1,000 gallon LP tank at the site. The soft start and LP conversion system for my generator were purchased from HutchMountain.com. They have great support but the parts are not hard to install. IMG_1560.jpeg IMG_1500.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks