• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-1040 Owners

Blackbob

Hello all,
I'm new here and looking at a 1041 through military surplus acquisition local to me. The price is pretty good ($1150 through the VOSB program for my buisness use). I read in this thread or another that they can be "linked together". Where do I find more info on that ? I assume I should try the TM first (and I will) just looking to see if someone can briefly elaborate. As in my Navy experience, TM's can take forever to explain the simplest things.

Also, has anyone else had experience with them DOD or Non-DOD ?

Attachments

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,
I'm new here and looking at a 1041 through military surplus acquisition local to me. The price is pretty good ($1150 through the VOSB program for my buisness use). I read in this thread or another that they can be "linked together". Where do I find more info on that ? I assume I should try the TM first (and I will) just looking to see if someone can briefly elaborate. As in my Navy experience, TM's can take forever to explain the simplest things.

Also, has anyone else had experience with them DOD or Non-DOD ?
Buddy, Run! The mep 1041 unit runs at 400hz. Unless you will use it just for power drills or an airplane it wont work. You need the mep 1040.

Blackbob

Buddy, Run! The mep 1041 unit runs at 400hz. Unless you will use it just for power drills or an airplane it wont work. You need the mep 1040.
I'm glad I did my research and asked before pulling the trigger fully,lol. The model numbers can be a but overwhelming too. Like with Caterpillar, one digit can spell the difference between a main engine and a small generator, lol.

Chainbreaker

Actually... if you can truly buy the 400 hz 1041 for $1150 and ARE going to buy a 60 hz 1040 I would buy the 1041 at that price as a parts donor, of course only with total investment funds permitting.

Certainly the gen head would not be compatible but the engine with its associated parts, aluminum enclosure panels etc. would be compatible. Not sure about the all the other electronics but I would think a good percentage of them might be compatible as well.

Blackbob

That would be another good reason to read TM's.
Touche and note taken
Actually... if you can truly buy the 400 hz 1041 for $1150 and ARE going to buy a 60 hz 1040 I would buy the 1041 at that price as a parts donor, of course only with total investment funds permitting.

Certainly the gen head would not be compatible but the engine with its associated parts, aluminum enclosure panels etc. would be compatible. Not sure about the all the other electronics but I would think a good percentage of them might be compatible as well.
That's a good point to consider and yes it's really $1150.00

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that's the ground cable that gets attached to the ground rod. It's suppose to be about 5' long according to the -10 TM. From the picture it appears to be folded up. When used the braid is fed out one of the holes in the side of the set and it gets attached to the ground rod.

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They seem cute... but the more electronics you shove into a set, the more problems you are asking for. Electronics work great, until they don't (and we arent talking about off the shelf items).
I cant find the post that explains it, but can someone clarify for me - on the 1040 who makes the engine. It's labeled Yanmar, but everyone refers to Cummins. was there an acquisition?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cummins manufactures the machine. The engine specified for the MEP-1040 is manufactured by Yanmar. The engine in the 1030 is a Kubota. The manufacturer of the machine need not be the same as the engine, if there are better platforms out there. Cummins doesn't have much in the way of small engines for such a form factor.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mean their smallest engines are older Onan designs, now produced by Kukje Machinery over in Korea (under license, and used by tons of OEM tractor builders including Branson and others... also what is found in many Onan diesel gensets these days).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks