• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-106B Repowered w/ Yanmar L100- NO Fuel Need Help!

Grove

I purchased an MEP-016B from a guy locally who didn't know much about them. He wanted a generator for power outages and bought a few of them and was never able to get this one started. He told me it didn't run but he had purchased a new battery for it but hadn't installed it yet. At my request he hooked the battery up and tried to start it. It cranked well but never fired. I decided to take a gamble on it and brought it home.

I got it home and it didn't have any fuel in the tank so we added some fuel. It immediately fired right up and ran for about 10 seconds. Then it started sputtering and slowly died. It would not restart after running the one time.

I have checked for fuel at the injector, filter, and at the pump output. I don't have fuel at any of those points. I pulled the tube out of the tank that supplies the pump and it is clear.

When I turn the switch to AUX I hear the auxiliary pump kick on but when I turn it to RUN or START I don't hear the main pump running. Should I hear it running in the RUN position?

Everything I've read and from my searches references the Onan engine and I'm not finding much info on the Yanmar L100 so please if you are knowledgeable on these help me.

Pics of tags and motor label below.

MEP016B Tag.jpgRepower Tag.jpgYanmar Engine Tag.jpg

jonster

I have the same unit. You should hear the pump running in run. It starts out loud, then quiets down as pressure builds. The pump may be full of varnish, a good cleaning should help. If it is still dead after that, you can remove the suppression capacitor that is wired in line with the pump. You also have to bleed the injector pump on this unit, that is in the TM. I had to replace a pump, I purchased it from Pegasus auto for about $100. Look for a TM for the mep106e, it covers the L100 motor. When you turn the switch to run does the fuel cut off solenoid click back? It should. Good luck! I will look for my TM when I get home, and pass it along.

Grove

Yes the solenoid clicks back when the switch is moved into the run position. Are the auxiliary pump and main pump the same? I jumped power to the pump and it isn't working. Just as a double check I also jumped the auxiliary pump and it did work. It seems at this point I have a non working pump however when I checked the voltage at the pump wire (before the RF box) with the switch in the run position I didn't get anything. It seems in addition to the pump being bad I don't have power going to it either.

I have read that several of you took the pump apart because it was gunked up and cleaned it so I thought I would do the same. Unfortunately during dis-assembly it exploded into multiple pieces after I removed the retaining clip. Does anyone have a diagram showing the order of the spring, washer, and o-ring?

If and when I get this pump back together should I try first try to identify the reason I'm not getting power to it or just replace it with the auxiliary pump and run a jumper wire to make sure the unit is operational?

Please advise.
Grove

Thanks,

Grove

Last edited:

ETN550

You can take the other (aux) pump apart (carefully) to see how the first one goes together. Its not a bad idea to clean off the magnet and the fuel screen anyway. If the main pump is bad and the aux pump is working then move it to the main position and run as is until a replacement is found for the aux pump.

Grove

The pump was stuck and I got it back together. The RF box was also bad so I cut it out but the pump still isn't getting voltage. I used a jumper wire from the battery for the pump and the unit runs great but I really need to figure out why I'm not getting voltage. When the pump froze up could it have blown a fuse? Does the DC side of the unit have fuses or circuit breakers?

Thanks,
Grove

jonster

Check to make sure you have a good ground. I ran an extra ground from my pump to the grounding lug. Jump the pump off the battery it should rattle. I would check the ground first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks