• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-3 questions

nostaw

I had posted a topic about my genset a few months ago, but I can't find it and I'm posting from my phone...

I'm having trouble starting my MEP-003....

When I follow the starting procedure I get black smoke and it chugs for a few seconds, then dies...

Suggestions from prev thread were that it may be a fuel issue... I cracked each of the 4 injector lines at the injectors and verified fuel was seeping out.

For the oil pressure switch and the over temp switch... To bypass them can someone confirm if they should be open or shorted?

TIA!

JW

nostaw

Yeah, that is the thread, thx!

Anyway, the good news is I have power - came on while I was tinkering.

A few more questions, besides the ones about bypassing the oil pressure and high temp sensors.

On each of the cylinders below the fuel injectors there is a terminal with a spade connector on it.... They appear to be connected via a daisy chain...

One of them was loose, and I reconnected it. What are those -- are they glow plugs?

I haven't found them in the service manual yet.

Thx,

JW

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they are glowplugs.

Keith_J

Black smoke is a good sign, adequate compression and surplus of fuel. This could be inadequate governor adjustment.

All diesel engines are governed. This engine's governor is very simple and mostly external. The flyball governor portion, the part which limits engine speed, is working. This part generates a force on the governor rod which is proportional to speed. And it is probably over-powering the part of the governor which increases engine speed, this is the throttle spring.

Open the cover over the injectors, 3 latches. Look at the spring which is tensioned by the throttle. Pull the throttle out all the way, the spring should have considerable tension on it. It needs SOME tension, otherwise you will get what you are having, a start with lots of black smoke, then the engine dies.

Now look at the stop solenoid. See what it presses against? That is the injection pump's control lever which meters fuel. See how the solenoid moves it? That is the least amount of fuel, nothing.

Now that you know how the IP meters, try starting with the cover open and look at the IP control lever. If it moves DOWN, then dies, you have a governor issue. If the lever moves UP and the engine dies, it is either fuel pumps, injector pump or fuel delivery.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks