• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-531 exhaust popping

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got around to servicing a MEP-531 I picked up a little while ago; changed fluids and filters and fired it up. As usual it took some fuel bleeding and a bit of cranking to get it to run. Once it fired I starting getting quite a bit of popping and some “backfires” thru the exhaust. Any experience with this or thoughts on easy fixes before I tear into the head to check valves, check timing, and whatever else I can think of?

Last edited:

rustystud

Just got around to servicing a MEP-531 I picked up a little while ago; changed fluids and filters and fired it up. As usual it took some fuel bleeding and a bit of cranking to get it to run. Once it fired I starting getting quite a bit of popping and some “backfires” thru the exhaust. Any experience with this or thoughts on easy fixes before I tear into the head to check valves, check timing, and whatever else I can think of?
If someone set the valve lash incorrectly it could be causing this. Also the fuel timing could be off. These "Yanmar" engines are pretty dependable units with few mechanical problems.

Guyfang

Staff member
The only time I have seen this with the yanmar engines was when the valves were out of adjustment. This is one of the few engine problem I ever saw with this engine. Normally it a good runner.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valve adjustment is my conclusion as well. Hopefully that’s all it is. I appreciate the input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks