• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 531A Alternator Wiring Question

Craig H

Folks, I could use some help. I recently purchased an MEP531A at auction. When I got it I found that the alternator was new, installed to the engine, but not wired. Removing the alternator cover I see that there are 4 brushes (2 on the inner ring and 2 on the outer ring) and three loose wires that disappear back into the alternator. Two are the field wires and go directly to the mil-spec connector. From the schematic the other wire looks like it comes from a stator winding and is part of the exciter? How do I wire this correctly?

A couple questions: Is the exciter winding in the schematic the same as the rotor winding? Is the inner ring or outer ring for the positive field wire (or does it not matter)? I am thinking that exciter wire goes to a brush on the same ring as the neg field wire and I use a separate wire to connect the two brushes on the positive field ring. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Craig

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, I could use some help. I recently purchased an MEP531A at auction. When I got it I found that the alternator was new, installed to the engine, but not wired. Removing the alternator cover I see that there are 4 brushes (2 on the inner ring and 2 on the outer ring) and three loose wires that disappear back into the alternator. Two are the field wires and go directly to the mil-spec connector. From the schematic the other wire looks like it comes from a stator winding and is part of the exciter? How do I wire this correctly?

A couple questions: Is the exciter winding in the schematic the same as the rotor winding? Is the inner ring or outer ring for the positive field wire (or does it not matter)? I am thinking that exciter wire goes to a brush on the same ring as the neg field wire and I use a separate wire to connect the two brushes on the positive field ring. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Craig
I have a 531 outside...if you can post a pic of what you're looking at I can take a look at mine and see how it is hooked up.
Rich

Craig H

I have a 531 outside...if you can post a pic of what you're looking at I can take a look at mine and see how it is hooked up.
Rich
Rich, Attached is a photo of the alternator with the end cap removed. I wired it how I think it goes but could really use a check. You can see the 4 brush caps. Note that I had to manufacture two as they were missing and I couldn't find anyone selling the part (They do work properly).

Side note: the brushes were also missing and hard to find. Eventually I found them at advancecarbon.com for a reasonable price.

The three wires from the top were loose (not even stripped) when I got it. I added the red wire to connect the two brushes going to the outer ring. I have the exciter wire going to the brush cap circled in black on an inner ring. That is is the same ring I have hooked to the negative field wire. I don't know if this is correct and I don't think one can tell from the schematic.

Thanks again for any help.

Craig

Attachments

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rich, Attached is a photo of the alternator with the end cap removed. I wired it how I think it goes but could really use a check. You can see the 4 brush caps. Note that I had to manufacture two as they were missing and I couldn't find anyone selling the part (They do work properly).

Side note: the brushes were also missing and hard to find. Eventually I found them at advancecarbon.com for a reasonable price.

The three wires from the top were loose (not even stripped) when I got it. I added the red wire to connect the two brushes going to the outer ring. I have the exciter wire going to the brush cap circled in black on an inner ring. That is is the same ring I have hooked to the negative field wire. I don't know if this is correct and I don't think one can tell from the schematic.

Thanks again for any help.

Craig
Ok let me take the cap off and see if I can get a good pic of where the wires go. As far as parts go you can go through the Dewey supplier to get parts...I did that to find what I needed when I got mine....I was missing the oil pressure sensor and a few other small things....really helped at least getting part numbers of what I needed...I ended up finding the parts elsewhere since I don't pay govt prices...the manual is 716 pages of insanity.

Craig H

Thanks Rich. I had the electronics box off so I could wire it. I think there is room to pull the end cap off and take a picture. I really appreciate it.
Craig

Craig H

Does anyone have a picture of the alternator with the end cap off? I am still in need of wiring assistance.
Thank you all,
Craig

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Does anyone have a picture of the alternator with the end cap off? I am still in need of wiring assistance.
Thank you all,
Craig
Not sure if you ever figured it out, but I just got through taking one of these apart for not making power. Not sure why it wasn't, but I shared a few pictures before I did & it was with the rear cap off. Here is a link;

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks