• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-531a

rustystud

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes, I used google, and it did give me generac. I did not read far enough into it to see that Baldor had been bought out, just that both company's showed having the part. Oh well.

MP901

Apparently the part number for brushes is obsolete or thats what im being told by most vendors that stock generac/baldor parts. Advance carbon products out of CA seems to stock a equivalent part,
however i do not know the quality nor have i ordered from them before but i have ordered a set and will let you guys know how it turns out.

rustystud

Apparently the part number for brushes is obsolete or thats what im being told by most vendors that stock generac/baldor parts. Advance carbon products out of CA seems to stock a equivalent part,
however i do not know the quality nor have i ordered from them before but i have ordered a set and will let you guys know how it turns out.
That was part of the problem I had earlier this year. Like I mentioned before, I was finally able to get the "Retail" store that Deway Electronic sells through. The problem was the "insane" prices they wanted !!! Maybe once they stop selling to the military they will start selling to the public at a more reasonable price. Who knows. Either they sell at normal prices or we need to find a way to mount different brushes to this machine.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to consider is buying a brush that is a little bigger and cutting it down to size. Not ideal by any means but workable if that is the only practical solution.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I re-torqued the head today and checked the valve clearances, valves were spot on. Also checked where oil level was too 1/4" below full line on dip stick. Going to run it for awhile tomorrow. Is this generator safe for computer, microwaves, etc being a brushed motor?

rustystud

I re-torqued the head today and checked the valve clearances, valves were spot on. Also checked where oil level was too 1/4" below full line on dip stick. Going to run it for awhile tomorrow. Is this generator safe for computer, microwaves, etc being a brushed motor?
I think it would be OK for a microwave, and yes computers would be OK too .
Thanks Guy for the correct information.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The first thing a computer does is convert AC to DC voltage. So why should it matter? The army uses this gen set to run computers, I think that good enough for me.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran it for about 10 mins to day and place around 1500 watt load on it. I noticed that I may have incorrectly read Hz the other day at no load it runs at 64.5 ish. I did confirm the reading with my Fluke meter. The TM gives instruction on how to adjust this.

8. To adjust diesel engine speed and generator set frequency, loosen pivot screw on regulator bracket and move regulator bracket down to increase speed (frequency) or up to decrease speed.

TMplate.jpg

Here a pic from the unit, from what I understand. I just have to loosen the screw with the yellow circle and move the bracket up. Asking before I try this just in case there is any tips out there.

PlatePic.jpg

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20180410_121927.jpg20180410_121932.jpg20180410_121759.jpg20180410_121801.jpg20180410_122555.jpg20180410_122552.jpg

Adjusted set as close as I could to the upper limit of 63Hz, been running my desktop and window AC on it hangs around 50%. The UPS on my computer does kick in when the AC compressor kicks in. Might help if I used a heavier extension cord using a 50 foot 14 AWG cord. I do see a decent voltage drop threw the extension cord 114 at UPS. Set is putting 120 after I adjusted it with voltage screw.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 724781View attachment 724782View attachment 724779View attachment 724780View attachment 724784View attachment 724783

Adjusted set as close as I could to the upper limit of 63Hz, been running my desktop and window AC on it hangs around 50%. The UPS on my computer does kick in when the AC compressor kicks in. Might help if I used a heavier extension cord using a 50 foot 14 AWG cord. I do see a decent voltage drop threw the extension cord 114 at UPS. Set is putting 120 after I adjusted it with voltage screw.
Yes, a heavier extension cord is always better. A #12 AWG would be better for that length.

My my rule of thumb is #14 for 25ft, #12 for 50ft and #10 for 100ft with power tools like a circular saw, drill, table saw etc.

If a known load is heavier, I'll go with a heavier cord at shorter lengths.

Try a heavier extension and see if it resolves your voltage drop.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ill order 100' SJOOW 10/3 and make 2 50' cords and put some ends on it, then I should be good to go. Also has anyone had a custom canvas cover made for their MEP?

RIrvin

I have used canvas/ vinyl outdoor furniture covers for MEP-003A and MEP-0i8. Military canvas covers for smaller units (MEP-015 and commercial small diesels) I found on big auction site.No military surplus suppliers seemed to have any. Found several that fit MEP-531 perfectly on Flea bay..

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
INITIAL ADJUSTMENTS, BEFORE USE AND SELF-TESTThe diesel engine must be broken in, avoiding heavy loads (no greater than 75%), for a period of at least twenty(20) hours to ensure proper operation of the generator set. After the initial break-in period, intake and exhaustvalve clearances must be checked and adjusted, the head nuts torque must be checked, and engine lubricatingoil changed. Contact field maintenance.

I have been thinking about this often since I have read threw the TM for this set, should the same apply for a MEP-831a? The TM for the 831a states nothing about a break-in process. They both have Yanmar engines L48 and L70, practically the same thing just a bit bigger.

rustystud

INITIAL ADJUSTMENTS, BEFORE USE AND SELF-TESTThe diesel engine must be broken in, avoiding heavy loads (no greater than 75%), for a period of at least twenty(20) hours to ensure proper operation of the generator set. After the initial break-in period, intake and exhaustvalve clearances must be checked and adjusted, the head nuts torque must be checked, and engine lubricatingoil changed. Contact field maintenance.

I have been thinking about this often since I have read threw the TM for this set, should the same apply for a MEP-831a? The TM for the 831a states nothing about a break-in process. They both have Yanmar engines L48 and L70, practically the same thing just a bit bigger.
It would stand to reason that the break-in should be the same. I would do it just to be safe. It doesn't hurt or cost anything to do it. Just a little time. After all you should replace the engine oil after the first 20 hours anyway on any engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks