• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 701 VR2 wires

The_New_Guy

Okay. I'm going to be up front here with the hope it provides context for the help I am looking for and not a bunch of rediculous comments suggesting I shouldn't even own a MEP. Thank you in advance.
I am not an electrician or engineer. I don't have any years of service and only own one piece of milsurp equipment. I am, however, reasonably handy and a long time reader of steelsoldiers and I think you guys are pretty great.
Here in South Dakota, we tend to get winter storms that knock out power for hours to days to weeks. I have been using a MEP701A in 120v 1ph to run the household essentials for a number of years. During the spring oil change and test run, I noticed the voltage would creep up continuously. So, I opened the panel to start poking around for any obvious issues. Once inside, I noticed a wire that burned the sheathing off and damaged the sheathing on two other wires. The burned wire goes from the part labeled A1-VR2 and I believe is wire labeled A1-TB2-9. The diagram seems to show this as a - not a + wire.
So, here is where I think I am at:
1. I think I need a new VR and will swap in a SX460 clone.
2. Is the VR2 likely fried? Only the VR2 or both?
3. What the hell does the VR2 do and do I need it if I swap to SX460?
4. Clear diagrams and/or descriptions are appreciated.
Open to anything helpful.
Thanks!

Attachments

The_New_Guy

Thanks. I think it is a 16B in an ASK and I do have the TMs for it. Unless I missed it, the TM doesn't really state what role the VR2/alternator(?) fills.
Do you have any thoughts why that wire out of it would have burned up?
Thanks.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I think it is a 16B in an ASK and I do have the TMs for it. Unless I missed it, the TM doesn't really state what role the VR2/alternator(?) fills.
Thanks.
I looked at the Wiring Diagram for 016A. I am not sure if there are differences between the two. I do not have the TM’s for the Bravo unit.
The legend is printed on each diagram to identify components properly.
The alternator charges your batteries. Same as in any car. And VR2 is the regulator for that.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at the Wiring Diagram for 016A. I am not sure if there are differences between the two. I do not have the TM’s for the Bravo unit.
The alternator charges your batteries. Same as in any car. And VR2 is the regulator for that.
I need to correct myself. I looked at both manuals, Alpha + Bravo.
The second listed TM is the Bravo manual.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks.
Here is test of VR2

A751AABE-6551-4DDE-959B-8FD1E0A5467A.png
5F7396DB-1EFF-4755-8A2C-CC6B8E3B902C.png

Wires usually burn when the current going through the wire exceeds the amount of current the wire can handle.
It usually indicates that something is defective on one end of the wire.

The_New_Guy

Thanks peapvp! Very helpful! I have heard of the battry charging circuit being a common problem so that would make sense. Weird that both issues would come up at the same time but maybe that's just my luck.
I will take the alternator out of the system, replace the VAR and runt it for a bit to check function.
I really appreciate the help.
Thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
The 016A and 016B are about as different as two 3 KW gen sets can get. The 701 is a 016B in a box. The TM's should be in the TM forum. If not, say something. I am old and may have forgot to upload them.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 016A and 016B are about as different as two 3 KW gen sets can get. The 701 is a 016B in a box. The TM's should be in the TM forum. If not, say something. I am old and may have forgot to upload them.
Guy,
The test for VR2 is from the 016B TB.
It’s all Kosher. It also states it in the picture.

Peter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks