• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-701a external female cable attached

johndoe007

Hello,

I was wondering if someone might answer a technical question on this item. Some of these have a female plug that runs thru the precut hole next to the exhaust hole on the side of the ask case. and store in the cut out on the top. What were they for? I have searched the TM's for the mep-016 series and it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 9.41.49 AM.jpg

Isaac-1

Mine came with one like this, I assume it is a general purpose extension cord to plug loads into. This would be the more appropriate method of connecting general loads as it would be protected by the main output breaker, unlike the glass fuse protected front output outlet.

Ike

johndoe007

I had hoped that perhaps they made something like a spider box that plugged into it that just wasn't listed in the manuals as 5k is a lot to run thru a single power strip....

3dAngus

It would be helpful to see the female plug and the pin readout.
3 pin? 5 pin? Could go to an air conditioner/heater or a distribution box, but without seeing specifically what connector you're talking about, you're probably just going to get guesses.

Rapracing

Did you check the voltage output?

Is it a/c or d/c voltage?

ETA: I asked about d/c voltage above not knowing whether they have any type of d/c output but thought I'd ask :shrugs:. If they do could it be something for a 12v or 24v output? Anyways, it would be good to know what is coming out of the plug. That would tell you what it coul be used for

Last edited:

johndoe007

I have to wait for the snow the thaw around here as we got over 2 feet in the last few days before I can get out to where it sits currently. And even then I might have to use a metal detector to find it. When I last looked at it, it was a female three prong twist lock.

As it relates to the spider boxes I have one, but it uses a weather proof amphenol connector so it seems this cable is more like what Issac-1 mentioned above as an extension cord. I was just worried that the generator might have been a take off of one of the trailer mounted systems and it was this cable that mounted to the switch control box.

If I were to use a spider box on this do you guys think the small yellow Hubbell ones that have been available recently might be a good match?

Click here to view full size.​

HUBBELL WIRING DEVICE-KELLEMS TPDL Distribution Box,50A,120/240V,Yellow
HUBBELL WIRING DEVICE-KELLEMS
Item Specifics
Item
Distribution Box
Type
GFCI
Color
Yellow
HP
Item
Distribution Box
NEMA Receptacle
(6) L5-20R, (1) L6-30
Type
GFCI
Voltage Rating
120/240
Standards
UL, CSA
Material of Construction
Steel
Amps
50 AC

Last edited:

Isaac-1

The outlet end on mine had been replaced by a high quality "hospital grade" 20 amp 5-20 straight blade single receptacle. (you know the one where one socket is T shaped to accept either 15 or 20 amp plugs)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks