• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-701A / MEP-016B.....more electrical hook up quesitons

crapola82

I have been researching the forums here and on smoke stack about different options for hooking up a 16b and 701A gen set. I have read it all, and am still slightly confused. I have a decent understanding of wiring. Have done a couple of garages, small cabin, etc. Here is my situation and what I want to know. My main power in from the pole is to my garage. From there, I have a 90A breaker going to the house. I would like to install a disconnect/manual transfer switch between the garage and house to isolate the house from the main power. I then would like to hook up my 701A to run the house (obviously only the essentials during a power outage). I would also include a 30-40amp breaker to trip prior to burning out the gen set. I need 240v for my well pump. Everything else is 120v. Can I make this hook up? I know it is possible using the jumper wire to LO terminal, etc. I am concerned about not having the generator loads "balanced". I want to basically use the generator like it's the 240v power in from the electrical company. What can anyone tell me? Anyone have any decent pictures of your set ups.

Thanks

Isaac-1

If you must have 240v for your pump the easiest way to get there is to connect the generator in 120/240V split single phase. You already understand the concept of load balancing, and this is where my concerns start for running one of these 3KW generators in 120/240V 1 phase mode, simply put your effectively turning it into a pair of 1,500 watt generators as far as loading is concerned, in this case maybe a bit more due to the military conservatism for ratings, but still you will be effectively limiting yourself to about 16 amps per 120V leg. This means you will likely always be closer to the edge than you would be running a similar load if wired 120V only with 32 amps available. While I can appreciate the appeal of a whole house transfer switch I think with a generator this small you would be better off using one of the selectively switched load generator subpanels like those Pro-Tran models sold by Reliance Controls, as it is just too easy for one person to push you over your capacity by turning on a 1,500 watt hair dryer, etc.

Ike

p.s. the L0 modification may not be needed, it seems most 701a's are already pre-moded, you will need to check yours to see though.

Isaac-1

Note the reference Mistaken1 has refers to 3 phase power connections, typical home connections are split single phase, so the bits about MUST USE 3 pole and MUST USE 4 pole would change to MUST USE 2 pole and MUST use 3 pole in single phase installation, otherwise things are similar.

Ike

p.s. Note OSHA has recently changed their requirement for grounding portable generators. In some cases they now say generators with panel mounted outlets should not be grounded in field operations, there is a lot of disagreement out there on this decision

crapola82

Yes, I noticed that it was 3 phase. I will look into reliance controls. Seems like a decent idea. Just wish I could somehow mount that in my garage instead of in the house next to the sub-panel. Thanks for the info.

crapola82

Well, I finally got around to opening up my Gen set and taking a look at the wiring to see if it had the jumper mod. So far, I have just been doing basic maint. and building a cool trailer for it. I haven't really load tested it yet.

It has the white 6 AWG wire running from the top (LO) terminal down thru the control box, and hooking up to the frame. This was done prior to me buying it from GL. So for clarification, this means that it is already set up for 120/240 split power right? Does this also mean that when I hook up to the gen set, i need to be concerned about load balancing? I noticed that when I got it, the set was in the 120/208v 3 phase setting. I am getting 120 and 208 v readings with the multi-meter. From all the other stuff I have read about the LO jumper mod......like " don't turn the current selector to anything else or you will fry things" makes me skeptical to change mine while its running. Can I adjust this knob without wrecking anything? I have re-evaluated the direction I am taking with this set, and I think I would just like to use the 120v single phase setting to get the most power out of this thing.

Any tips?

mistaken1

I am not personally familiar with your generator but I think it is safe to say one should never change the reconnection switch while the generator is running (on any of the MEP generators).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks