• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 701A, MEP 831A or ???

Guyfang

Staff member
The 701 is not what you need, and you have decided against it. Good decision. They can be good sets, but I have hd lots of problems with them.

The 831 is a very nice set, and very quiet. Its simple to run, and I think, simple to work on. At present, parts are not a real big problem. Unless you need an inverter, governor or alternator. Then, its a problem. And very costly. That's the only problem I have with the 831. The rest of the set is tinker toys.

Just how much power do you need? Would a 2KW, MEP-531A cover your requirements? It's a Yanmar also. Simple, light and not real loud. It doesn't have an ASK, but like I said, not real loud.

Having said all that, Chief-919 has a very valid point. Maybe you should also research into RV power generators. They are on the whole, very dependable. I am a military power generation fan. And if I was living at home, I would have a military gen set. No questions asked. But out on the road, your chances of getting to a source of repair parts would be much greater if you were able to access RV power generation. There are lots of repair shops around the country. There are few, if any, places to get an A-2 inverter, or an electric fuel pump, when you are just outside of Raton, New Mexico. I have seen and used several times, a Onan powered gen set when I rented an RV in the states. They were super quiet, never missed a beat and were good on fuel usage. Maybe you should at least look into it.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
There is no MIl-SPEC remote for the 831. There IS a remote, for the several different types of equipment, that use the Power Plant, AN/MJQ-42. The AN/MJQ-42 is a set of MEP-831's, mounted on a special trailer. There is also a remote used for the 831 that I have seen, but the remote, as well as the manuals, are not available to non military. No doubt you can fab one up. Should not be hard, but if you are looking to cut cost, that is not the way to do it. Wit an RV unit, that sort of thing is standard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks