• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-701a No Start Condition, Stuck IP?

abh3

Went to exercise the MEP-701a yesterday and quickly realized it's been too long as it isn't getting fuel. I've not run it regularly because it's a pain to arrange batteries for 24v, I'm lazy, don't like pulling and replacing batteries in things and it's all my fault. I've searched but can't seem to find anything about this...

Working the lift pump produces fuel at the IP inlet but cranking does not produce fuel at cracked IP injector line. I played with the linkage and realized the IP linkage arm didn't want to move (in run postion w shut off solenoid retracted), I then removed IP linkage arm thinking it was binding somehow but the shaft coming out will only barely move and with a tiny clink at either end of the very small movement. Could the IP be stuck internally? What am I missing?

Thanks for any assistance!

ETN550

Went to exercise the MEP-701a yesterday and quickly realized it's been too long as it isn't getting fuel. I've not run it regularly because it's a pain to arrange batteries for 24v, I'm lazy, don't like pulling and replacing batteries in things and it's all my fault. I've searched but can't seem to find anything about this...

Working the lift pump produces fuel at the IP inlet but cranking does not produce fuel at cracked IP injector line. I played with the linkage and realized the IP linkage arm didn't want to move (in run postion w shut off solenoid retracted), I then removed IP linkage arm thinking it was binding somehow but the shaft coming out will only barely move and with a tiny clink at either end of the very small movement. Could the IP be stuck internally? What am I missing?

Thanks for any assistance!
Yes, most likely stuck IP. First try cranking it and manually push and pull on the control arm, it might free up. If not then try applying some heat in a controlled manner not too much in one spot but get it up to 140 - 150 or so. Boiling water might work. If no luck pull the pump and keep the shims in order for re-nstallation later. Just my 2cents

BTW you might want to check the battery conversion thread a little way down on the board. I use (2) 12 volt batteries in place of the stock 24 volt one.

abh3

Thanks for the info! I've got a good heatgun, should the heat be applied to the shaft area or around the IP barrel itself?

I had looked at that thread and it seems like a great idea but my MEP along with the rest of my toys from hydraulic excavator to M35s, etc. are headed for new homes as I downsize for a move off the farm, I'll turn the new owner on to SS though...

Last edited:

ETN550

Thanks for the info! I've got a good heatgun, should the heat be applied to the shaft area or around the IP barrel itself?

I had looked at that thread and it seems like a great idea but my MEP along with the rest of my toys from hydraulic excavator to M35s, etc. are headed for new homes as I downsize for a move off the farm, I'll turn the new owner on to SS though...
Heat around the housing. The plunger is extremely close tolerance to the barrel inside and it probably has varnish on it and the cam has pushed it up and the spring is not strong enough to break the varnish loose keeping it stuck. The lever causes the plunger to rotate which is how it meters fuel. What you are sensing is lack of movement of the lever so it cannot rotate which is consistent worth being stuck. The tiny bit you feel is probably the fork or whatever is on the end of the lever, another sign that the lever and shaft are free and the plunger is not. Be patient with the heat gun let it get nice and warm for 1/2 hour or so and continue cranking it and trying to turn it by hand. Keep priming it with fuel too. Each time the cam comes up it will touch it and it might eventually work it loose. If not then disassemble and go from there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks