• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 701a part questions

wiccantoy

Ok I've been searching for a year, and found there is a plunger in the tank that will keep it from starting now I need to verify this. If I find it to be the issue. Where will I get a replacement for the item that needs to be replaced?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Tusquittee

701A tank switch

Ok I've been searching for a year, and found there is a plunger in the tank that will keep it from starting now I need to verify this. If I find it to be the issue. Where will I get a replacement for the item that needs to be replaced?? Thanks in advance for any help.
Yes, there is a magnetic low level cutout switch in the fuel tank that removes power from the fuel shut off solenoid when the tank level is low. The switch also has a max fuel tank level feature . I think this is what your asking about.
I had problems with my switch and decided to bypass it. Now, I'll have to watch the fuel level .
There are some float adjustments that can be made to the switch but it will have to be removed from the tank.
The replacement part is expensive and I'm not sure where you would find one.
Hope this helps.
Any questions you can PM me.
Steve

Guyfang

Staff member
Ok, before you go at this the wrong way, first take out the float switch. Have you done that? It is a long brass rod, with two floats on it. Look at TM 5-6115-615-12, figure 3-14, page 3-30. See if the lower float moves up and down freely. Then check if it has the three magnets still are in the float. Use a screwdriver tip to find the magnets. Dont dig for them, just hold the screwdriver tip close to the float in several places. Then test for continuity, between pins A and B, with a multimeter. Move the top float up and down its full range to see if you open and close the contacts. Then try the bottom float. See if it opens or closes when you move the float. Repeat for pins C and D. I forget what pins go to what float, so just try it. If the contacts open and close properly when you move the floats up and down, then you might just try and change K-4 relay. Its the relay that shuts the engine off, when the bottom float sends a signal that the tank is dry.

Guyfang

Staff member
Sure you can trick the relay. But have you looked at the floats? This is one of the greatest faults with the fuel float system. The float gets stuck in one position and it simply won't move. You can also change K-4 with another relay. They should be interchangeable. Two screw, and out it comes. The relays are cheap, common and readily available.

Guyfang

Staff member
The float switch has a cannon plug on it. Simply look at the wire schematic and find the right pins, A and B or C and D. I forget and am not near my generator ETMs right now. But its simple to figure it out. Put in a wire in the right pins, and then it should work. But test before doing those things.

Last edited: