• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-701A project complete (I think)

chadande

Finally finished up the generator I picked up this summer.

I really have to thank those on here for their expertise in helping folks like me with little experience but a desire to fix up and use these things.
Between answering my questions and reading through all the other posts I think I have everything figured out.

The battery charging system didn't work when I got it, and after considering the difficulty of tearing everything apart to see what was wrong I gave up and just permanently attached the battery tender to the ASK. Once running I just move the plug from the wall to the convenience outlet. I assume the unit doesn't use much DC power once up and running.

I decided to use single phase 120v mode as I have no 240v loads that I can't live without in a pinch. After reading many posts I was able to figure out that my unit did have the jumper ran from T0 in the control box to ground. I was able to get it moved to T2 inside the control box (it is a tight squeeze in there).

I was able to find the correct fittings and hose to draw fuel directly from Jerry cans. I tested the electric lift pump and made sure it turns on and off as it should as the internal tank fills and empties.

I mounded a small box on the side of the unit and wired a 30A L5-30R twist lock outlet to the lugs. Hot to T1 and Neutral to T2. I ran ground from the outlet directly to the ground lug. I have a twist lock extension cord with 3 outlets for general use as well as one with plugs on both ends to connect directly to the house eventually.

One last question:
I ran a load of 1675 watts (measured with my Kill A Watt meter) during my final run test today and took pics of the load guage at all three settings.
I1 & I2 are close to the same with no load shown on I3 (see pics). Is this correct for the way I am set up? With a 1675 watt load shouldn't this read close to 50% or do I need to add them together? The load was two large halogen lights and a shop vac.

Thanks again for everybody that took time to help!

Attachments

ETN550

The meter is correct. A full 3000 watts will read at the 75-80% special marking on the gage as most loads, even common motors have a pretty high power factor. The meter will read 100% with a full 4000 watts resistive load, such as a heater which is 1.0 power factor. My 16 gallon Sears shop vac pulls about 1150 watts and my kill a watt meter shows 0.92 power factor even though the load is pure motor. as such the military rating at 0.8 power factor is very conservative. It would take a nasty motor of some sort to pull it down that low. Consequently, these 701A units are pretty good for around 4000 watts at sea level conditions. The meters themselves do have some variation. I had one last week that I was demonstrating and my 4000 watt load was shy of 100% on the meter. Nice looking unit. It looks better than average condition.

If you wonder if the tender can keep up with it measure the battery voltage when it is running over a period of time and see if it drops off and continues dropping. There is always an initial drop. Also, the tneder should go into a bulk charge rate and actually push out more current if it gets too low. My guess is that it will be fine.

chadande

ENT550, thanks for the reply. I feel pretty lucky with this unit. I think they retired it to GL because of the battery charging issue, everything else appears to be in good running condition.
Does anything other than the fuel shut off solonoid use DC power once the unit is running?

ETN550

ENT550, thanks for the reply. I feel pretty lucky with this unit. I think they retired it to GL because of the battery charging issue, everything else appears to be in good running condition.
Does anything other than the fuel shut off solonoid use DC power once the unit is running?
Stuff that runs on 24vdc

Fuel Shutoff solenoid
Shutoff solenoid relay coil
Low fuel relay coil
Aux fuel pump (when on)
aux fuel pump relay coil (when aux pump on)
701A cooling fans