• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-701A Rivnut Nutsert Tool, Homemade

derf

After searching for Rivnut or Nutset tool or set I finally settled on a homemade tool. The MEP-701As come with the ASK panels attached to the frame with threaded inserts. These inserts, like rivets with threads, tend to become loose and are a pain to deal with. The last 701A I got had most of the inserts glued in with epoxy instead of set in with the proper tool. I suppose the epoxy was enough to get it back together so the soldier could send it out to DRMO. Or, it could have been a field expedient fix. Either way, the epoxy threaded insert installation was a failure. After examining several tools and kits online and seeing one in person at the Harbor Freight store I decided they were just like rivet tools, for the most part. The Harbor Freight kit looked OK so I bought it. It came with 4 different size adapters, but not the 10-32 that I needed. I figured I would just make one for 10-32 easily enough. For $16 plus time to make the adapter I figured it would be a good tool investment. When I got it opened up, though, I noticed the base of the adapters was threaded 6mm but left handed. Having no left handed metric dies and no desire to set the lathe up for left hand threading to do one tiny part I started looking at other options. The option I settled on was simple and cheap enough. I took an extra rivet tool, took out the little anvils and spring, dropped in a 1.25" 10-32 screw, and reassembled to tool. Voila. See pic. The pic shows the tool, the small parts I removed, one unset insert, and the kind of screw I used. The tool worked well at setting the new (formerly epoxied Aluminum) inserts and tightening up the loose original (steel) inserts.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good idea. You have to turn the rivet gun/tool when removing it from the seated rivnut, right?

I have an old B F Goodrich installation tool for rivnuts, that I use from time to time. If all else fails nutplates work well also for similar applications and can be installed with pop rivets.

Attachments

PeterD

Now, why not use a socket head (allen) screw (which is stronger) and then use an allen wrench to turn it to take the tool off?

Marcel

Great adaptation. If any want to buy a dedicated tool kit for this application get the Marson Poly Nut™ Kit 39202. I installed an electric winshield wiper kit in my M51A2 last year and used this kit to fasten the motor to the upper windshield frame. The wiper installation kit came with knurled fasteners that you pre-drill holes and then pound them in but I wasn't comfortable with that so I used this method for the job. Worked great and I feel confident that the motor will stay put. It is a great system to attach anything small to sheet metal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks