• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802 and 803 Main generator tip.

Guyfang

Staff member
TYVM-after pricing a replacement VR, stator and rotor, each of which costs in the neighborhood of what I paid for my trailer-mounted 802A with <2000 hrs on it [$550], I have concluded that the price of these 3 mods and the minimal amount of effort needed to perform all 3 will be the cheapest insurance I will ever buy-
Truer words have never been uttered.

nextalcupfan

+1 to the list of generators that should have had this mod done but didn't.
Purchased Nov, 2019
Unit Date MFD 10/2002
149 Hours on Meter, never reset.
According to some writing on the filters the last maintenance was May 2006, I changed every filter and fluid (except the strainer on the fuel pump) and sent the oil in to be analyzed. They said it was straight 30 weight, probably the original break in oil.

Attachments

nextalcupfan

Well I can't speak for every set that wasn't done, but judging by the date on the air filter the last maintenance was 2006 before the mandate.
My best guess is they would check for the mod at the next maintenance, however on my set that never happened.

Jeff H

I just picked up my first MEP-803A on Thursday, It is a 2009, it has the fuse mod. It did not have the MOV so I ordered some yesterday.
Some questions about the MOV out of curiosity.
If the fuse were to blow and need to be replaced, do you also replace the MOV with a fresh one at the same time, each time?
Or, how do you know when the MOV is bad and no longer providing protection?
Is the MOV mod found in the TM's or was it developed by the knowledgeable forum members here?

reset2

I just picked up my first MEP-803A on Thursday, It is a 2009, it has the fuse mod. It did not have the MOV so I ordered some yesterday.
Some questions about the MOV out of curiosity.
If the fuse were to blow and need to be replaced, do you also replace the MOV with a fresh one at the same time, each time?
Or, how do you know when the MOV is bad and no longer providing protection?
Is the MOV mod found in the TM's or was it developed by the knowledgeable forum members here?
I just recently actually printed out "TM 11-6115-741-24" "Field and sustainment maintenance for Family of TQG generators 2k thru 200k". Very good manual for just what is performed at a "Reset" Page 5-3 tell about the fuse mod in detail.
I would think the MOV is there also but don't know where. Search this site I have seen it before but don't remember where right now.

dav5

I just recently actually printed out "TM 11-6115-741-24" "Field and sustainment maintenance for Family of TQG generators 2k thru 200k". Very good manual for just what is performed at a "Reset" Page 5-3 tell about the fuse mod in detail.
I would think the MOV is there also but don't know where. Search this site I have seen it before but don't remember where right now.
I'm pretty sure the MOV installation was developed by Kurt Klopp a member here.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MOV mod is actually something I came up with a few years ago. It purpose is to protect the VR from shorting out. Something the Fuse Mod doesn't do.
If the fuse were to pop the MOV should still be good.

Jeff H

The MOV mod is actually something I came up with a few years ago. It purpose is to protect the VR from shorting out. Something the Fuse Mod doesn't do.
Thank you for that information. To confirm 14D151K is the correct part number?
Also, I was looking at your custom made voltage regulator. Very nice indeed. I may purchase one after I get this unit sorted out.

reset2

Hey sorry for not giving you credit where due. Both my son (803) and my 802 have your MOV installed. Thanks for all your support to us rookies out here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JM2

Oh, and thank you all for all the great info, and especially to Mr. Klopp for this particularly great tidbit about the MOV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks