• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A 230V Convenience Receptacle

kochevnik

A dumb question :)

There does not appear to be a 230V / 240V 'convenience receptacle" on the MEP-802A - so what is the best way to accomplish this ? I have a Miller Welder - draws 21 amps on 230V (max) and has a 6-50 NEMA plug on it - I am buying the generator to among other things, run this welder in the field - as well as a backup for my house and charging batteries when the solar system can't keep up.

Appreciate all help and tips - and yes, went thru the TM, but want some real world advice.

I should add - my house & shop will never be hooked up to utility electric - all totally offgrid.

Last edited:

Keith_J

You have to make one. 21 amps, you need a 10 gauge conductor. 240 volts? 3 pole, 4 wire SJOW service cord with the right receptacle (NEMA 6-50 R) on one end, pigtails on the other.

With the SJOW wire, you have 4 conductors, black, red, white and green. Black and red are the legs, white is neutral and green ground. Your welder has a 2 pole, 3 wire plug so it only needs red, black and green. No neutral (white). You will have to figure out which goes where. Since the generator can be configured for multiple connection/voltage/phase, it is up to you to do it right. That is in the TM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks