• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802A / 803A Gov Auctions

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Military is in the process now of disposing their remaining stock of 802A / 803A
There are currently 100’s coming up for auction, primarily California and Pennsylvania.

Hours on average are 1000 to 10000 and no more 3 hour units
A few work, most don’t. Either missing various parts or were demilitarized by removal of part which is floating around somewhere in genset enclosure.

Times sure have changed from just 3 years ago.........

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Military is in the process now of disposing their remaining stock of 802A / 803A
There are currently 100’s coming up for auction, primarily California and Pennsylvania.

Hours on average are 1000 to 10000 and no more 3 hour units
A few work, most don’t. Either missing various parts or were demilitarized by removal of part which is floating around somewhere in genset enclosure.

Times sure have changed from just 3 years ago.........
There were more than 50 of them in my local yard when I was there a few weeks ago, mostly 803's.

Guyfang

Staff member
The last ones out the door will be the worst. There are still hundreds here in Germany. Last time in Graf, I cruzed the motor pools, and they are full of old gen sets and trucks. Lots of new stuff also.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use it only when it works... not something you can just pull out of your ass at 0520. Part of my professional job is technical writing/documentation (amongst a myriad of other hats). I would hope its not that much of an outlier, compared to how I normally post here.

NEIOWA

I use it only when it works... not something you can just pull out of your ass at 0520. Part of my professional job is technical writing/documentation (amongst a myriad of other hats). I would hope its not that much of an outlier, compared to how I normally post here.
At least didn't use "back in the day"

Guyfang

Staff member
The English language is a wonderful thing. I never tire of learning something new. And to do that, I started out with "Old English". Reading english books that were written 100-200 years ago will make you pause, and think. There are so many words that although used 100-200 years ago, had a completely different meaning. Simply love it!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The vocabulary of people just 100 years ago was so much stronger than today. I am a believer that this has been done on purpose, as part of a larger push to dumb down the populace. Smart people aren't as easy to coerce or outright lie to... but perhaps this rant is better served for another time.

Guyfang

Staff member
I don't know anything about the US school system now. Last time I had experience was 1972. So it could be. Part of the problem is that we all speak dialect. "Pure" english is hard to find. And what is "pure"? Some say the Queens English. I say B.S. on that. Even today's Queens English, is not what it once was. Dialect has rounded off the contours, to anything that might even come close to Pure English. And some dialect bears no resemblance to pure anything.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its like Mars now, from even when I was in school. They now have a "Common Core" program they are following, and its mind boggling. My kids are subjected to this idiocy. Math is the worst... no longer do they teach you how to solve problems. "Common Core is meant to help children understand math in a way that ties it into the real world, rather than teach them a method for quickly solving equations on paper."

My kids look at me like I am a green space alien when I tell them how to solve problems quickly and easily.

reset2

Quiz for today. Just how many 802 or 803 gensets do you think is or was in service over the past years. I have no idea just how many there are. Local yard near me also had quite a few 802/803 units.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quiz for today. Just how many 802 or 803 gensets do you think is or was in service over the past years. I have no idea just how many there are. Local yard near me also had quite a few 802/803 units.

Somewhere between 5,000 to 10,000

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And they have auctioned of on average 50 units per month (802+803) = 600 per year since January 2013. That gives you 600 x 7 = 4,200+ units till the end of 2019 with now probably 2k left at 200 to 300 per month in previously described conditions

reset2

Bidders need to look closely to the pictures and videos for the condition of the units. One thing I look for is at the point of starting the hertz gauge will go to 60 cycles if the gen is making power. Not a sure thing but one thing to look for.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its very, very rare... but you also have to look at the details of the machine, compared to what they are supposed to be. This set was advertised as a 10kw unit, which the data plate says it is... but dimensionally it was NOT a 10k, but an MEP-802A (and if you look at the plate below the NATO one, you will see it calls out 5kw/60hz)mismarked machine.png

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It probably would be better at this point for any layperson interested in buying a 802A/803A, to buy a unit which has been re-built or thoroughly checked by a Generator expert, rather then buying those direct through the government auctions.

Those rebuilt / checked units may cost more, but the headaches and ulcers saved by buying a non or partially functioning generator is probably worth while.

Especially if the seller gives a warranty on those rebuilt / checked units.

Its very, very rare... but you also have to look at the details of the machine, compared to what they are supposed to be. This set was advertised as a 10kw unit, which the data plate says it is... but dimensionally it was NOT a 10k, but an MEP-802A (and if you look at the plate below the NATO one, you will see it calls out 5kw/60hz)View attachment 789839

reset2

That is the best option for a person that is unfamiliar with any military equipment. There is a definite rolling of the dice when purchasing at auction. I have both won and loss at auction.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks