• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A & 803A prices & repairability

1800 Diesel

I don't own either of these models but have placed a few bids when they are fairly close to home base. It always seems like they bring tons of cash but at the same time I've seen a few comments on how difficult they sometimes are to troubleshoot and return to operational status. I've also seen some good reviews on the units and comparisons to the MEP-002A & 003A models, but just not convinced they're worth the prices being paid at auction "sight unseen" if you're unable to survey on site.

Today I noticed [GL] closing prices ranging from a little over $1k to over $6k for a few MEP-803As scattered at different locations. (The $6k+ unit was on a trailer with low hours but not running.) Also watched a couple runners go in the $4-5k range. Bottom line--the prices seem mostly on the high end with today's unit that sold for near $1k seeming to be an anomaly. Just thinking out loud here-would like to get a couple of these (one 5KW & one 10KW model) but would definitely like to see a little less on the prices...hopefully, as more are DRMO'd the prices will come down??

Last edited:

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If one isn't familiar with troubleshooting electrical systems then he is better off with a "known good" 802a/3a.

The older generators' (00x series) problems centered around the engine side with less sophisticated systems on the electrical side. The 8xx units have a more sophisticated electrical side which are made more complex by the various requirements put on the design by the military.

The only parts that I've found on the 8xx units that are very hard to find are parts that never go bad - generally the simpler parts. So, it is easy to find a 24 vdc alternator for one, but very hard to find the pulley that goes on it. It is easy to find the fuel solenoid, but very hard (if not impossible) to find the ~2 inch metal bar that goes between the solenoid and fuel shutoff valve.

When one is running and has been tested, all those parts should be there and working..

z

Isaac-1

I have watched the same thing on here time and again, they sell high on GL, and seem to always take a lot of work to get running again,

1800 Diesel

Ike,

We're on the same page. .. I think I'll just wait until the supply goes up. In some of my recent base visits, I've seen some fairly large rows of both models awaiting their fate.... :)

Thanks, Kevin

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the consensus for prices on the 802 and 803s? What would everyone consider reasonable (auction and street price).

Isaac-1

The thing I find hard to answer on that is not knowing the average rate of problems and cost to fix for these units. However based on various messages posted here it is my impression that on average the chances of buying a runner, or an easily repaired unit is much lower than the chances of getting a runner on the older MEP-002a / MEP-003a, etc.

jacobsk

What is the consensus for prices on the 802 and 803s? What would everyone consider reasonable (auction and street price).
I don't know anything about street price, but the 802/803's I've watched so far this year have sold for:

802 - Average of $1,381 with an average of 662 hours. Highest was $4,100 for a new looking 2009 unit with 6 hours on the meter, lowest was $370 for a parts unit from 1995 with 142 hours on the meter.

803 - Average of $1,888 with an average of 1,682 hours. Highest was $6,200 for a new looking 2011 unit with 6 hours on the meter, lowest was $620 for a beater with 4963 hours on the meter.

Location seems to have the larges influence on prices. Otherwise the price vs usage scatter plot of the MEP-800 series data resembles a shotgun blast.

JRM

Glad I found this thread, I discovered the MEP series last month when a customer had a 802 in the back of his truck. So, I have bid a few times and been out bid extremely quickly even with 2K+ bid's on rusty 802's so im just going to sit back and low ball these auction sites until I nail one. Looks like its about 18% in fee's on most sites (tax plus auction fee)
I would love a 803 purring beside my house :)

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just keep watching the auction listings and you may/will stumble upon one at a reasonable price. I trolled GL for about a year before scoring mine.
It was a 1994 802 with ~1,400 hours on it. Non runner when I picked it up from Ft. Meade. $833 including tax & premium.
A few relatively easy to fix issues.
- Broken Master switch. The fragile plastic shaft and knob was snapped off. Picked up a 75902LV switch off of flea-bay for ~$50
- Radiator petcock drain ripped off of rad. Pulled the radiator and did a bit of soldering. $0
- Added fluids, filters and a pair of 51R batteries.
- Leaky fuel return line at the tank. Replaced it with some steel brake line and new hose.

Since then it has run flawlessly whenever I've needed it for the past two years.

JRM

I cant wait, if iv rebuilt a VW diesel with perfect success (and nailing the injection pump timing perfectly) I hope I can tackle one of these units :)

Guyfang

Staff member
Guys,

The troubleshooting for the TQG's, (MEP802A and 803A) is relatively simple if you have some experience with TQG, or you are good at electric troubleshooting, Schematics and wiring diagrams. I think if you find one that is complete, and low hours, getting it to run is no trick. The key word is "complete". Like ZARATHUSTRA commented, the hard parts to find are the ones that do not go bad often, or are missing when someone rapes the set. The military's policy for ordering and stocking parts runs something like this. Order and stock parts that will be commonly used. Its easier to scrap a whole generator set, then to order and stock parts that never go bad. They NEVER take into consideration that something disappears, is stolen or gets lost. So take a good look at what you buy. Or get someone to look for you. Or simply buy a known runner.

odge

I agree with what Guyfang said. Have a good look at it before you buy it to make sure all the parts are there. I'm dealing with this issue now. Didn't do my due diligence and bought an 803 that doesn't have a voltage regulator. So if anyone knows where to find a VR let me know.

Bluejoe

Glad I found this thread, I discovered the MEP series last month when a customer had a 802 in the back of his truck. So, I have bid a few times and been out bid extremely quickly even with 2K+ bid's on rusty 802's so im just going to sit back and low ball these auction sites until I nail one. Looks like its about 18% in fee's on most sites (tax plus auction fee)
I would love a 803 purring beside my house :)
Hey I know it’s been awhile did you ever find a generator purchase I’m looking at a 802a myself. Thanks Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks