• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a/812a interchangeability.

Murph1219

Question for the experts. The 812 sets are usually sold off pretty cheap for obvious reasons. Sounds like good potential for parts units. So what, other than the engine obviously, is interchangeable between the 60 and 400hz sets? Voltage regulator? Most of the switches? Thanks in advance.

-Greg

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
It's easier to say what is different.
The alternator head. 60Hz vs 400Hz
Your 2 meters on the panel. Hz setting and load
a few voltage regulator parts in the control box.

All the rest is usable.
all other gauges, lights, switches, sensors, panels, engine etc...

Guyfang

Staff member
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, there is a bit more then that. Best way to find out is to take the TM 9-6115-641-24P and look at the UOC, (Usable On Code).

a. USABLE ON CODE. The usable on code appears in the lower left comer of the Description column heading. Usable
on codes are shown as "UOC:.." in the Description Column (justified left) on the last line of the applicable item
description/nomenclature. Uncoded items are applicable to all models. Identification of the usable on codes used in this
RPSTL are:
Code Used On
EMH 5Kw, 60Hz Generator Set,
Model MEP-802A
ENY 5Kw, 400Hz Generator Set
Model MEP-812A

This was take from the TM. There are not a lot of different parts, but still, without checking, you could be surprised. For instance, the fault indicator is different. Volt regulator is different. Now that I look at the TM, there are more then a handfull. In the control panel are lots of different parts, so best to take a look see first!!

Murph1219

I knew guy would be along to set us all strait. Thank you as always. Great information. Time to dive into the tech manual. I wonder how many of those dissimilar components could be easily modified however? Thanks again.

-Greg

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
But, for all the extra goodies which will be backup supplies... all the panels and doors are the same, the fuel pumps, the fuel canister housing, engine, exhaust, all engine sensors, radiator, fuel tank, fuel level sensor (both), batteries, trays, cables, speed rpm cable, power connection lugs, fuel gauge, oil gauge, battery ammeter, panel lights, emergency stop, battle short, aux fuel hose, fuel cap, dead crank switch etc... :)

The dissimilar components are just that. Do not work.

Guyfang

Staff member
Dont misunderstand me, I am ALL ABOUT buying up the 400 Hz models. I think its a VERY good idea. IF you have the money AND space to store them. We once did a "quicky" for a unit going down range. Their Battalion S-4, (supply trolls) somehow found 4 MEP-813A gen sets in a DRMO. They went down, (Italy) and picked them up. We spent the weekend swapping engines. Had a great pile of parts left over when we got done. I promised the unit to reassemble them after the unit deployed. This was at a time when getting a replacement engine for a 802 or 803 was next to impossible. Cores, unserviceable engines, were not being turned in. The 802 engine was the worst. Over 120 cores "unaccounted for".