• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a auxiliary pump: any chance fuel can siphon from 30 gallon drum?

69birdman

I had my 803 on a harbor freight trailer, connected military fuel line to 30 gallon barrel , original Faccett aux. Pump , no issues.
Looking back at the pic now, I see , once it pumped first refill the fuel level in barrel was probably lower than day tank ?

Attachments

Reactions: 98G

JeremyWigmore

Search function success! I ran into the exact same problem as the OP!

A couple weekends ago, I had my 803a out in my driveway, running on the aux fuel connection from a full 55 gal drum in the garage. I was letting the machine run for a few hours (laundry day!) as part of my monthly startup, which I usually just run off the onboard tank. This day, however, I wanted to go off the AUX fuel connection as a test for longer-term power outages.

After running the main tank low, I switched to AUX fuel and the pumped kicked on, primed then filled the onboard tank and shut itself off - no issues. When I came back to check a short while later, I noted a slow drip of fuel from the corner of the set. I confirmed the aux pump had shut off, then opened the onboard tank to visually check for the fuel level: yep - full to the brim. I assumed fuel was siphoning (passively) from the drum to the tank, so I disconnected the aux fuel line and let it run a while longer to bring the level down.

I estimate the fuel level in the drum was approximately 2' higher than the top of onboard fuel tank. Unfortunately, it's not really practical for me to relocate the drum so that it stays below the fuel level in the generator, so I'm looking for solutions.

My first thought was simply to disconnect the fuel line after the tank fills, then reconnect it once it needs fuel again; however, frankly, at that point I may as well just use Jerry cans, since it's about as much of a PITA and requires me to be constantly messing around with it.

The second thought would be to add a manual shutoff valve so that I could leave the aux fuel line connected, but I'd still need to manually switch between normal and aux fuel, while also making sure the valve was in the correct position.

Kloppk's idea for the solenoid sounds like the ideal solution for me. Has anyone implemented this yet? Does anyone have a go-to source for these types of valves? I'm assuming it would need to be a standalone unit (i.e. with fuel fittings and an electrical connection) which could be fitted inside the set (likely as close to the aux fuel connection port as possible) and connected to the 24V supply to of the aux fuel pump?

Thanks!

J

Triple Jim

It's interesting that by contrast, the 002A and 003A run the pumps full time and control the fuel flow by opening and closing solenoid valves. Since the pumps use a spring for the pump stroke and the internal solenoid for the return stroke, the pumps don't do much when dead-headed.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's interesting that by contrast, the 002A and 003A run the pumps full time and control the fuel flow by opening and closing solenoid valves. Since the pumps use a spring for the pump stroke and the internal solenoid for the return stroke, the pumps don't do much when dead-headed.
In other words this should not be a problem on the older units?

777Jackpot

First of all I want to THANK ALL the folks here on this website. Your sharing of knowledge was invaluable to me setting up my MEP 803A. Problems with fuel pump, tank drain plug fixes and remote start made things smooth when I first got the genset.

Fuel tank overflow; I had a similar problem. I run my genset every week to charge the batteries. I have the remote start setup with the "aux pump" enabled. I have a 55 gallon transfer tank about 10 feet from the genset, the line goes down under the ground to the genset. The aux tank top is about a 1/2 inch lower than the bottom lip of the filler neck on the main tank. I've run this without problems for over two years including some power outages. The main tank gauge is always at or near the full mark, so no issues getting fuel to the genset.

Couple of weeks ago I ran the genset with the remote start (like I always do); about 30 minutes later before I shut it down, checking the gauges I find fuel had come out of the top of the filler neck cap. The tank was totally over full.

For the last couple of weeks I've run the genset manually only in prime/run mode (no aux pump) with the inline aux fuel line valve shut. I just got around to checking this out; I pulled the 'low level/aux fuel pump float switch' to test it. Tested according to the MEP tech manual and it works fine.

Is this a fluke or could something else cause the aux pump to overfill the main tank? Assuming my troubleshooting is correct. Thanks.

Attachments

69birdman

First of all I want to THANK ALL the folks here on this website. Your sharing of knowledge was invaluable to me setting up my MEP 803A. Problems with fuel pump, tank drain plug fixes and remote start made things smooth when I first got the genset.

Fuel tank overflow; I had a similar problem. I run my genset every week to charge the batteries. I have the remote start setup with the "aux pump" enabled. I have a 55 gallon transfer tank about 10 feet from the genset, the line goes down under the ground to the genset. The aux tank top is about a 1/2 inch lower than the bottom lip of the filler neck on the main tank. I've run this without problems for over two years including some power outages. The main tank gauge is always at or near the full mark, so no issues getting fuel to the genset.

Couple of weeks ago I ran the genset with the remote start (like I always do); about 30 minutes later before I shut it down, checking the gauges I find fuel had come out of the top of the filler neck cap. The tank was totally over full.

For the last couple of weeks I've run the genset manually only in prime/run mode (no aux pump) with the inline aux fuel line valve shut. I just got around to checking this out; I pulled the 'low level/aux fuel pump float switch' to test it. Tested according to the MEP tech manual and it works fine.

Is this a fluke or could something else cause the aux pump to overfill the main tank? Assuming my troubleshooting is correct. Thanks.
If you tested/ verified float works correctly "now" , could have just been sticky that one time. I know others have experienced this , you can reach into the day tank and check the float ( quote: " If you dont have Popeye forearms" ) thank you Guyfang !🤣

777Jackpot

If you tested/ verified float works correctly "now" , could have just been sticky that one time. I know others have experienced this , you can reach into the day tank and check the float ( quote: " If you dont have Popeye forearms" ) thank you Guyfang !🤣
Appreciate the quick response; I will put her back together and monitor. If it happens again I'll reach in there and check it. Not sure my long arms can fit though; I have plenty of time until Hurricane season! (y)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks