• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a batteries

hammick

I picked up my MEP-802a that I won at auction. It doesn't have any battery cables, battery trays or batteries. I jumped it with two batteries in series and it runs great. Very happy with my purchase.

From the maintenance records that came with it I believe it was trailer mounted with an external 24v battery. The records state it was used as a backup or emergency generator and was always stateside at the same base.

Since I have to install battery cables I am thinking of using the cheap Walmart lawn tractor batteries which are $20 each. Anyone used these batteries? I have one in a Honda generator with a GX240 engine and it starts it just fine. Thanks

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-U1R-7-Lawn-Garden-Battery/16795214

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use those batteries to test generators. If its an easy starting set they will work fine. Buy a pair and $20 worth of battery cables and you'll be in business.

jamawieb

As long as you don't have extended cranking cycles. I actually melted the threaded post off a 650cca marine battery last week trying to purge the air out of the fuel lines on a 803a. I would also be worried if you are in very cold climate and trying to start it without the reserve capacity of a larger battery.

hammick

Put in the Wallyworld tractor batteries and it cranks and runs just fine. Need to find some plastic cases to fit these batteries