• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a best practices

hammick

I have a low hour MEP-802a on the way. It will be used at our place in Montana for charging solar batteries on cloudy days and for load support when needed. It will be stored inside when not being used (not climate controlled but very low humidity).

I have read all about wetstacking and how to avoid it and correct it if it happens. I plan to exercise the genset regularly when I can. However, there may be times when the genset goes three - four months without being used.

I plan to do fluid maintenance at least once a year or more depending on hours used.

Will I be OK leaving a full tank of diesel and keeping the fuel lines primed? I will fully exercise the genset before leaving and probably add a diesel additive to the fuel.

The batteries will be on a float charger.

Looking for best practices so my genset outlives me. Thanks.

Guyfang

Staff member
I have a low hour MEP-802a on the way. It will be used at our place in Montana for charging solar batteries on cloudy days and for load support when needed. It will be stored inside when not being used (not climate controlled but very low humidity).

I have read all about wetstacking and how to avoid it and correct it if it happens. I plan to exercise the genset regularly when I can. However, there may be times when the genset goes three - four months without being used.

I plan to do fluid maintenance at least once a year or more depending on hours used.

Will I be OK leaving a full tank of diesel and keeping the fuel lines primed? I will fully exercise the genset before leaving and probably add a diesel additive to the fuel.

The batteries will be on a float charger.

Looking for best practices so my genset outlives me. Thanks.
Wet stacking happens when you run the set with no load, or not less then 75-80% load. So simply running it, will not help. You need to put a load on it. Don't worry about not exercising the set for several months. That's not going to be a problem. Should you not put several hundred hours on it a year, I would not worry to much about fluid maintenance. An old Warrant Officer once told me "Boy, if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If you keep the tank full, condensation has a harder time adding water to your fuel. Overfilling will leave you with a mess. So fill er up, but don't over do it. Read the manuals and follow what is listed in them for services and long term storage. What's the chance of critters making a home in the set? Might think about that.

The rain cap for the exhaust is not the finest thing in the world at keeping water out of the muffler/engine. If you keep it inside, not a problem. If not, think about a way to maybe improve keeping water out of the muffler. If I had yellow top OPTIMA batteries in it, I would charge them real good and then simply disconnect the Neg cable. Only replace the cable when I need to start the set. They hold a charge a loooooooooooooooooooong time. Read through the threads here in this forum. There are some smart dudes here and you can learn a ton of stuff if you just read past threads.

hammick

Pack rats are always a concern but so far have not been an issue. It's 2x6 construction on slab and sealed up pretty tight. I am going to research rodent deterrent for the genset and my other toys that are up there. I will also leave traps out which should let me know if any get in while it's vacant.

I am hoping rodents are put off by diesel fuel smell.

Guyfang

Staff member
Wild bees, snakes and wasps/hornets are some of the big problems. if the critter can crawl into the set, its always possible that you could have a hotel there.

jamawieb

I've got several family members that I bought generators for and they are started once a year when I visit so long term storage is not a problem. Mothballs and peppermint oil do a good job at keeping rodents away.

hammick

Thanks for the info guys. I'll change the oil and oil filter each fall, add some fuel additive in the winter and put a full load on it each time I'm up. Good to know about the moth balls and peppermint oil.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Tokiozulu

I have a low hours (10) 802 (09 build) unit showing up any day now. Planning to change fluids - who knows how long they've been there but probably original. Have ordered filters and fan belt on Amazon and also plan to change. The set was started a few weeks ago by jumping - no batteries. I saw this on video - so I know it turns over. Was not able to see freq or v meter in vid so fingers crossed the stator and regulator are ok. Other than cleaning out the dust inside and changing fluids and filters and battery install, what is recommended to do before loading up the unit? Best practices before starting a low hours unknown unit.

i guess manometer on dip stick is also good to test for blow by.

Last edited:

Ray70

I recently had a couple 802's that had 1/2" wire mesh, for like building animal cages, screwed over all the air vents and openings ( don't forget the ones on the bottom ) to help keep mice out. You also need to secure the boot where the AC wires enter. Even that will probably only help, but not keep rodents out 100%

Bmxenbrett

Before you even start it make sure the fuel tank is clean. If it has oil i wouldnt change it until you know its a good operating unit. Also make sure the air filter dosnt have a mouse living behind it. Oil, fuel, air..becids any obvious thi gs i would start it and load it.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a low hours (10) 802 (09 build) unit showing up any day now. Planning to change fluids - who knows how long they've been there but probably original. Have ordered filters and fan belt on Amazon and also plan to change. The set was started a few weeks ago by jumping - no batteries. I saw this on video - so I know it turns over. Was not able to see freq or v meter in vid so fingers crossed the stator and regulator are ok. Other than cleaning out the dust inside and changing fluids and filters and battery install, what is recommended to do before loading up the unit? Best practices before starting a low hours unknown unit.

i guess manometer on dip stick is also good to test for blow by.
Howdy,

New low hour unit. The diesel motor is not broken in yet. It has a special break-in oil in it. If you are going to do it right, then Break-In oil for the low hour MEPS

Obviously you will want to go through everything. Check the starting routine. Do not idle the machine, bring it up to full speed 60Hz and 120/240volts. Know what to do for shut off in case of emergency.

MEP-80x startup routine

Have a meter handy to verify power at plugs, and lugs. Remember, the receptacle is rated at 10 amps.

A manometer will not help on a basically new 2 cylinder diesel. It is not broke in yet. You will get a lot out of the fill and dipstick.

Watch the fuel return lines, might be weeping due to age and sitting. Watch the fuel drain well nut for leaking.

MEP-802/803 Filters and Parts and second post with quick links to a lot of information

Have fun. 8)

Tokiozulu

Thanks Daybreak - I've been using your most helpful parts and other threads to learn as much as I can before arrival. All the filters etc are in my Amazon cart. The Fluke is ready to go.

Question - at what vintage of build was the 3 amp slow blow fuse mod initiated (if at all) into production units - or has it always been a retro-mod? Coming unit is 09 build, so wondering if I need to do the mod. If it was addressed in production - was it taken care of within the VR or externally like the mod?

Thanks again to all for helping us virgins out.

Guyfang

Staff member
The quad MWO, should have been done to EVERY TQG gen set, long ago. As we can see, it didn't happen. There is in the TM forum, the instructions on how to do it, if it's not been modified. Dosnt have to be slow blow. Anything is better then nothing. And that's one thing you should do before running the set. If you haven't Read the TB, it not long.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Daybreak - I've been using your most helpful parts and other threads to learn as much as I can before arrival. All the filters etc are in my Amazon cart. The Fluke is ready to go.

Question - at what vintage of build was the 3 amp slow blow fuse mod initiated (if at all) into production units - or has it always been a retro-mod? Coming unit is 09 build, so wondering if I need to do the mod. If it was addressed in production - was it taken care of within the VR or externally like the mod?

Thanks again to all for helping us virgins out.
Howdy,
Good deal. You are prepared for its arrival then.

The fuse mod was dated like May 2007. So any unit from the factory after that date would have it installed. If the unit was ever RESET, then its installed. It's all the older units which should have it installed in the field, but, ya know....

Open the control panel and make a quick look.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks