• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802A broken radiator overflow tube ,grease on power lugs, and no battery tray/box

robertsears1

The grease on the lugs is actually a good thing. It should be dielectric grease. I can't tell what your point is on the first picture. Is the overflow tube not soldered in good, your post was a little scarce in that category. If true, try to solder it back. A missing battery tray is not the end of the world. These are stationary generators after all! Good luck.

Robert

Zebcorod

Robert thanks for the quick reply! The overflow tube is gone. You are seeing a rubber cork that I put in the hole. I have attached a picture of the tier II tag/label also. Can anyone shed some light on what exactly was done to the generator from this tier II reset label?

Thanks in advance!IMG_20170305_061002.jpg

csheath

Looks like you got a new engine. I would get a piece of copper tube that fits the hole in the radiator neck and solder it in. Make sure it doesn't protrude into the cap area so the cap can seat proper.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Welcome.

The radiator overflow need to be fixed. A small copper piece brazed in or a radiator shop braze a piece in.

The lugs should be coated with dielectric grease. At least that is what I do when I get a unit home.

MEP-802A batteries - the battery box itself is a item which is like a unicorn. (scarce) A piece of thermoplastic rectangle which is a vibration friction reducer between the battery and aluminum framing. You will want some type of hold-downs which pull the batteries to the side. Batteries for the MEP-802A are group 51R

A full tier II reset pretty much what you think. The whole unit it broken down and gone thru and items replaced so when it is put back together, it is functioning like new. If it needs a new engine, ok, if it needs a new genhead, ok, etc...

a thread to look over MEP-802/803 Filters and Parts

Zebcorod

Awesome! thanks Daybreak for the tier II info. I will take the radiator to my local radiator shop. Do I need to remove the top part of the enclosure to remove the radiator?

Also, thanks for pointing me in the right direction on the batteries.

I noticed that I do need a FU1 fuse.
CB1 FU1.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes, you will need to take off the top of the set. Read the TM for the removal procedure. Take your time. Clean as you go and keep track of the screws. I would get the old radiator fixed and hold on to it for a spare, or sell it. Might be able to make your investment back. Its not complicated, just time consuming, unless you can talk your wife into helping. Boy, would that lead to a donnybrook here! Better to get your best friend, then your wife.

Zebcorod

Well, actually my wife is a very good helper. Lol! She holds the flashlight really well. But, I have to remind her not to shine it in my eyes! We've survived many donnybrooks. Yes, I will keep the old radiator for a backup.
Thanks!

dstang97

Is the other piece to the radiator stuck in the overflow hose? Same exact thing happened to me. I ended up taking the whole generator apart and fixing everything so I would be ready to go. I ended up pulling the radiator and bringing it to a shop so he could solder it back in.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome! thanks Daybreak for the tier II info. I will take the radiator to my local radiator shop. Do I need to remove the top part of the enclosure to remove the radiator?

Also, thanks for pointing me in the right direction on the batteries.

I noticed that I do need a FU1 fuse.
View attachment 669688
Howdy,
I would make a few calls to some radiator shops first. See if you can make an appointment in person with the unit whole. The radiator shop could fix it in 5 minutes. Breaking the front down and pulling the radiator takes a while to get it all apart. It depends on how much cussing you do, but a good 3 hour job, ok, maybe a little over a hour if your really rushing.. :)

Guyfang

Staff member
Once you have done it 5-6 times, you know the shortcuts! I did it twice in one day. Got it back in, and found ANOTHER problem. Seems my helper and I got the fan on backwards. We had replaced the radiator, and then decided to tear it all apart, as it was an extremely oily, filthy, gunky mess. Cleaned it all up! But, like I said, one of us, overlooked the fan. It sure doesn't like it when you do that.

Zebcorod

Is the other piece to the radiator stuck in the overflow hose? Same exact thing happened to me. I ended up taking the whole generator apart and fixing everything so I would be ready to go. I ended up pulling the radiator and bringing it to a shop so he could solder it back in.
No, I looked around for it and could not find it. I ordered a use radiator on ebay and will get the broken one repaired at the radiator shop for a backup.

Thanks for all the replies!