MEP-802A Busted Connecting Rod End

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

fosgittr

So I bought a 1035 hour MEP-802A from GovPlanet, and knew there was something wrong with it, as it was stated to be seized. Got it home, and found that it turned manually, but kept hitting something at the same point in the stroke. Turns out the removable end of the connecting rod was in a little baggy inside the enclosure. Uh-oh, that's not a good sign. aua So I took the crankcase cover off and sure enough no connecting rod present on one cylinder. Long story short, after the full tear down here are pictures of what I found. The cylinder looks perfectly fine, the crankshaft shows a little wear at the connecting rod location. I think all the military did was open the crankcase, see the problem, and sent it to the auction house. When I tore it apart you could tell it had never been done, the original engine paint was still intact. So what to do, looking for your opinions:

1. Replace the connecting rod (and piston) and give 'er ****
2. Replace the camshaft and main bearings too....?
3. Screw it, and replace the whole engine (PS there is a place in Canton, OH that allegedly has rebuilt DN2Ms for $395)
4. Screw it all, and go into the MEP-802a parts business on Ebay.......

Oh, and this genny does not have the fuse modification on the voltage regulator either. So the thing that sucks is the stator might be blown too, but I won't know that until I can start it up I suppose.

Input appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!:!::!::!:

20191119_210222.jpg20191119_210239.jpg20191119_210311.jpg20191119_210332.jpg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are talking about Adelmans, I urge caution.

They did a bait-n-switch on me on a DM4. I'll not buy from them again and will recommend anyone else not buy from them as to not fall for their false advertising BS either.

Strictly my opinion.

As far as what you have now do a full rebuild and know you have a machine that will outlive you.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was probably generating it’s little azz off when the rod let go. Other rod bearing will be pitiful as well. Be sure to plastigauge the crank before assuming it’s ok to use as is. I would fix what you got.

jamawieb

Replace the mains and rod, then run it. It will be fine. Did you notice if the push rods were bent because the piston looks like the valves hit the top of the piston.

Coug

If it were mine I'd strip apart the engine, then take the block, crank, and head to a competent machine shop for them to check out.

That bearing looks pretty toasty, I'd be very surprised if the crank bearing surface isn't at least a little messed up as well. The imprint of the valves on the piston top is also a pretty bad sign.

A competent machine shop will be able to clean everything, and magnaflux it to check for any damage, as well as pressure testing the cylinder head to make sure it didn't get damaged either when the piston impacted the valves.

Guyfang

Not having the Quad MWO is not reason to think the stator is bad. Please remember, before the quad MWO came out, thousands of these gen sets chugged along producing power. If you want to know if the stator is bad, simply test it. It's not hard, procedure is in the book.

Bmxenbrett

Time to pull the engine appart to further for investigation. You cant make a decision yet because you dont know how bad the other piston and crank is.

I would expect the crank to need some machining at the very minimum.

fosgittr

I'm thinking machine shop too. The push rods all look fine. But the crank shaft does have some wear marks to coincide with the marks on the bearings in the photos. I have not pulled the other rod and piston yet, or certainly have not pulled the crankshaft.

I have not seen anything in the manuals about removing the engine and/or separating the engine from the generator. Does anyone know what this entails? Or best practices on this? Do I have to pull the combined engine/generator out, or is there a way to leave the generator head installed? Any advice appreciated!!!

Guyfang

Yes, the entire package must be removed.

Yes the procedure is in the TM. Go to TM 9-6115-641-24, PDF reader page # 188. I would read it once or twice before attempting it. Its not hard. But its better to know before you start, then looking at a mess in front of you and thinking, "Maybe I should have read up on this first".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks