• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A - can this thing function with a 60' exhaust run?

Smithsonite

Ahh, I actually didn't even think to anti-seize the threads! Great idea, Tinstar.

I found a section of pipe, 7.5' long at Summit Racing for $22 - that works! Now the problem is, how the heck do I join that to black iron? Guess I could use some high temp silicone tubing found in performance diesel trucks. That would be the easiest way, I'm thinking. Another wrench in the mix is I can only get 1.5" exhaust pipe, so I'll have to figure out a way to step the iron up, or step the pipe down.

Nothing is ever simple, is it? :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to use a piece of exhaust pipe, just find an exhaust shop to flare out a piece of metal to the diameter you need. Should be pretty easy if they have a flaring machine. Or they can flare out what you have, if its not too large of a jump. Either way I think you can make it work.

Ray70

If you can't get it flared, the parts store will have an array of adapters that you can use to allow you to clamp onto both the black iron and exhaust tube.
Or weld (or have welded...) a short piece of 1 1/4" threaded black iron into the tube, then use a threaded black iron union to hook the 2 together, the union will simplify things if you need to disconnect the pipe for any reason in the future.

Smithsonite

I just measured the OD of the flex pipe threads, and I think I should be able to weld that up right to the exhaust pipe without much trouble. Should be close enough.

I put a nice quick-release union on my dad's setup, but at over $60 just for that, I think I'll just sawzall the pipe if I need to move it. You can see it in the pic, about 2" above his generator.

Doubtful it'll be going anywhere ... unless I finally get the green light from the wife and we can move to a free'er, warmer state in the Union. 🙂

9F7D3B31-6FD2-4444-AF23-4CAA54EB16C9_1_105_c.jpeg

Guyfang

Staff member
If you use this option, you will see a little rubbing of the gen set top and the pipe. If it doesn't bother you, do not worry about it. If it bothers you, cut the hole in the top cover a bit bigger. Lots of units going down range tried this, and lots of tops came back egg shaped. Since the set is going to be inside, you do not need the lip around the hole. Its there to keep water from running in to the set.

1700170961339.png

Smithsonite

Great idea. I may do that.

I had a difficult time getting that iron coupler on there, since the pipe didn't sit centered in the hole. You can see it in the picture - it's off to one side very tightly. Not sure why that is. Could be just because of where the muffler was sitting when the bolts were tightened.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you find yourself one fine day, with NOTHING to do, you can, because I did it twice, before vowing to NEVER try again, loosen about a million tiny nuts and screws. Shift the entire outside "Package" over to the right side, and gain a LITTLE space. Also, the muffler and mounting gear can be cheated over a MM or two. But Its not worth it. Trim the hole.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If its close enough to weld you could always cut vertical slits into the exhaust pipe, and use a heavy duty band clamp to tighten it up and take up some of the space with contraction/distortion to make it a tight fit. More than one way to skin a cat.

uniquify

I had a difficult time getting that iron coupler on there, since the pipe didn't sit centered in the hole. You can see it in the picture - it's off to one side very tightly. Not sure why that is. Could be just because of where the muffler was sitting when the bolts were tightened.
A coupler for electrical conduit would be a little thinner than the black iron. I've used them before when adding a short pipe and tractor-style flapper when the stock square flapper was missing.

87cr250r

When hanging your pipe keep in mind that you're going to have to accommodate ~1" of growth over a 25 foot run assuming the pipe is well insulated and 600°F over ambient. The key is to have a fixed hanger at the engine end and the remaining hangers are floating to allow for this type of growth. Additional fixed hangers and expansion joints maybe required at bends.

See page 6 in this document.

EXHAUST SYSTEMS

https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/CM20160713-53120-15686

Smithsonite

Wow, they've got that down to a science! Great info - I appreciate it! Never realized a system 20' long could grow that much!

It's probably not visible in the pictures, but my dad's install uses this double-walled pipe on the through-wall section. Zero danger. I can hold my hand on it (uncomfortably) after a half hour run time. I bought the same thing for my setup.

IMG_4760.jpeg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When hanging your pipe keep in mind that you're going to have to accommodate ~1" of growth over a 25 foot run assuming the pipe is well insulated and 600°F over ambient. The key is to have a fixed hanger at the engine end and the remaining hangers are floating to allow for this type of growth. Additional fixed hangers and expansion joints maybe required at bends.

See page 6 in this document.

EXHAUST SYSTEMS

https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/CM20160713-53120-15686
By "grow" you mean heat expansion?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks