• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A compare to Miller Big Blue 500

chilbun28

Hi guys, I'm about to buy a 2017 BB 500 welding machine. It has a 38hp Kubota diesel motor and it has slightly over 3k hours. The top and front skin is jacked up and the company is willing to sell it for a very reasonable price. It runs great and is possibly even quite than the MEP-803. It has a 12kw output with 15kw surge on the single phase side. It also has a 25 gallon fuel tank.
Unfortunately, it has a 38hp Kubota motor, but it is a 1800 rpm motor so I hope it's still fairly easy on fuel. What's yalls thoughts??? This thing is so quiet and runs like a freaking sewing machine.

20231204_084833.jpg20231204_084858.jpg20231204_084902.jpg

Jeepadict

Those are fantastic machines, and there's a plethra of parts availability and support in the world for them. Their fuel consumption should be on par with the 10K Cummins-Onan units (which is really good by most opinions), and I'd wager they're quieter than a MEP. If you're a welder either by hobby or trade, then it's a double win! I've seen those used everywhere from the Alaskan Pipeline to mining sites in the Desert Southwest. The sheetmetal is an easy cosmetic thing to fix down the road at leisure, a cost savings I'm sure...unless you're not a welder, then it sounds like great opportunity to flip it after some repairs and make some side cash.

My brother went the route of a Diesel light plant from Iron Planet instead of an 802 private party (I bought it instead). Lower cost of entry, and it's an 8KW unit...had to compromise with his wife.

I see the surplus MEP world as an enthusiast's/hobbyist's world...I think it's fair to say the MEPs prob demand a little more attention by the operator to operate and maintain than a commercially available unit...but I'm certain the MEPs will take more abuse in a harsher environment, and are more adapt to auxiliary fuel supply. After 20+ in military aviation, the MEPs are a better fit for me...we're a little institutionalized after that many years I guess.

There's something to be said for all the different platforms...I'd want to sit down with a pad and do pros and cons collums if i was in your shoes, but I'd have no use for the welder so it wouldn't be a good fit for me. Let us know which route you end up going, good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys, I'm about to buy a 2017 BB 500 welding machine. It has a 38hp Kubota diesel motor and it has slightly over 3k hours. The top and front skin is jacked up and the company is willing to sell it for a very reasonable price. It runs great and is possibly even quite than the MEP-803. It has a 12kw output with 15kw surge on the single phase side. It also has a 25 gallon fuel tank. Unfortunately, it has a 38hp kubota motor, but it is a 1800 rpm motor so I hope it's still fairly easy on fuel. What's yalls thoughts??? This thing is so quiet and runs like a freaking sewing machine.
I'd be curious how "clean" the power is...as in pure sine wave or block? I really don't know but might be something to look into.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had several Big Blue 400's and I currently have a Big Blue 500 with the Duetz engine. For welding they can't be beat. For power generation, they're more than most people need. They're quieter than a MEP802.

I've had a dozen or so MEP802s, and have two currently. With a little bit of load management, they're enough for a backup generator for your house. They're also 3phase capable without having to rewire the gen head. And they sip fuel.

My experience hase been that a MEP802 uses fuel at less than half the rate of a Big Blue 400 with the 2.2 Perkapillar.

chilbun28

Correction, the BB500 has a 48.9hp Kubota diesel, I thought it was a 38...... I'm just concerned this point about fuel consumption for only gaining an additional 2kw of output.

Ray70

I suppose you probably can't go simply by the HP rating. I don't have any experience that that machine, but I believe it uses an inverter for the AC so it may not run at 1800 RPM when under a light load?? hopefully??
Maybe someone else can comment on how the engine throttles up based on load, but hopefully it's not at 1800 all the time, otherwise you may want to reconsider, if you're only using it for AC output and not doing any heavy welding with it.

2Pbfeet

That is a great stick welding machine for structural or pipeline work. They rarely turn up at anything other than high prices, for good reason. They are rock solid, and 500A lets you move right along. That is a 5/16ths or 3/8" rod.

To @98G's point above, if you are going to use it as a generator, I would just be sure that you need 20kW of power at least some of the time. Diesel need to be loaded up periodically.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suppose you probably can't go simply by the HP rating. I don't have any experience that that machine, but I believe it uses an inverter for the AC so it may not run at 1800 RPM when under a light load?? hopefully??
Maybe someone else can comment on how the engine throttles up based on load, but hopefully it's not at 1800 all the time, otherwise you may want to reconsider, if you're only using it for AC output and not doing any heavy welding with it.
These machines are set up in two different configurations. One way has it idle at 1300 rpm until loaded and then it jumps to 1800rpm when loaded. The other way has it run constantly at 1800rpm.

Rental machines are typically 1800 constantly, due to the fact its cheaper to build that way and it's one less thing to go wrong.

One comparison point I have not heard mentioned is cost. That BB500 is worth quite a bit more than twice what an 803 is. If you're getting it for the cost of an 803 then it's an easy decision...

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correction, the BB500 has a 48.9hp Kubota diesel, I thought it was a 38...... I'm just concerned this point about fuel consumption for only gaining an additional 2kw of output.
Probably a good concern, IIRC most of the big gas welders where only rated at around 12k watts on the AC auxiliary. So about 30hp you’ll never use (except burning fuel) unless you’re welding as well. Would still be worth buying cheap, straighten the sheet metal out and flipping if it doesn’t work for you…

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you arc gouge that will be a great machine and serve you well, and for occasional power outages i wouldnt worry too much about fuel consumption. On the other hand if you don't weld much or arc Gouge the computer boards get pretty expensive on that miller machine if its just going to sit around.

Lothar

I have a couple 400s, great machines. I can attest to their ability to weld in volume at high amps. No idea how they compare to MEP power generation. But I do know they weld way better than the Hobart welder they gave me in the military. Even if you don't weld much, you can burn a half dozen thick rods every once in a while to load it down. Easy to get parts and Miller support is far better than most.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks