• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A fuel usage report

Zebcorod

I just wanted to report in and let you guys know that we have been averaging around 0.45 gallons per hour since we switched over to our MEP-802A. That's using about 4,300 watts on average. That's 1/2 of what a gas generator would use!

Bmxenbrett

Thats great news. A gas set could burn a hefty bit more than doube that.

I average about 7gal per 24hr with no load shedding at all, electric stove and heat pump water heater. About 0.3gal/hr 802a

Bmxenbrett

Would like to hear some experiences on the 803a as well.
Any generator fuel/hr burn rate is going to be very dependent on the load. Houses dont run on just one amperage for hours so you should really do your own test. I would expect it to be almosy double the rate for the 802a. Thats prety much what the specs show for max/min fuel/hr rating.

After a quick load bank test I do a 16-24hr test hooked to my house every time we change the clocks. Doing s test ever 6months or before a known event is enough for these diesel generators.

Jetred

Lots of people ask about fuel burn here. I originally found this site looking for the same info. Anyway, after acquiring both the MEP-802A and a MEP-803A, I performed the consumption test similar to the guy that post the YouTube video. He openly noted a cold running engine. I believe his had a thermostat issue and had taken it out. i read many comments that his results wouldn't be accurate from the lost efficiency. I think my results are pretty close to his.

Both of my units were made in 2010, the 802 had 10 hours and the 803 had 7. Both are LTT mounted and acquired this year from GP. No reset tags and clean, straight units. Thinking both engines are still new, they were filled with Break-in oil, new filters and rubber lines. For those wondering if it could be done, I performed all maintenance without removing the top cover (including the 802A return line.)

I used a simple one gallon clear plastic windshield washer fluid jug. Made marks with a sharpie every 8 ounces, while filling using a 8 ounce measuring cup. The supply line was attached to the main pump and ran through the bottom center vent. The return line was extended and also run through the bottom center vent. both lines simply shoved in the top of the jug. I ran the lines through the bottom so the doors were shut and the unit had designed air flow. Engine was warm and run at test load 10-15 min before the test time started to help normalize the operating temps on each load. Ambient temps varied little and in the 70's for all test. Test times were limited to less than a gallon consumed. That made them range from one hour to three hours.

Load used was a self designed system of water heater elements installed into the side of a 19 gallon plastic tote. (2) 4500 watts and (1) 3500 watts elements. A constant flow of water was supplied near the bottom and flowed out through holes drilled near the top, opposite the side of the element connections. Water flow was monitored to maintain 125F out flow. Two,plug-in room heaters were also used to reach target load. Voltage set to 240 and checked several times during the test. Wattage also conformed using a clamp-on meter.

Results for 802A

.25 gph at 600 watts
.28 gph at 1000 watts
.35 gph at 2000 watts
.45 gph at 3500 watts
.60 gph at 5000 watts

Results for 803A

.45 gph at 2000 watts
.50 gph at 3500 watts
.60 gph at 4500 watts
.90 gph at 9000 watts

These are constant load numbers from my generators on fresh fuel with 2 cycle oil mixed in at 100:1. Your burn rates will vary.

I wanted to to give back to this site and say thanks to all that provide info to others. No matter how little someone gives. It matters.

I'll also add the Champion 2000 inverter genarator used .18 gph at 800 watts.

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

Yes thats why. It adds lubricity. The cheap wall mart super tech stuff is fine. I believ its about $13 a gallon. So that should give you 100gal of fuel.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1-2% is a good number. 128 ounces in a gallon. To rough it in you add 2-3 ounces per gallon (for 2%) and you are good to go.

If you want to hit it pretty close on the head you'd add 13 ounces to 5 gallons.

For 1% you would go 7.5 oz.

Bmxenbrett

1oz per gal then add 50 percent more. Its not super critical like mixing gas for a 2 stroke. More 2 stroke shouldnt hurt anything. But if your useing kerosene i would double what you add for diesel.

I have a small 19hp excavator with a kubota motor. All the hyd oil and atf i drain goes into that fuel. No more than half a gallon to 5gal of fuel. It just smokes a bit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks