• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A GenSet. What are they for?

Guyfang

Staff member
Rusty Stud,

You are close. This setup is used for a COMMO rig. The cable reel, (RL-39?) is for the power cable to COMMO rig, the clamps are for the antenna. The trailer should have a data plate, (in the picture, left side, on the fender) for the proper books to repair or replace the "extra" parts. We had lots of the sets in Europe.

Triton

I'm so disappointed , I thought you were going to say it was clamps for a tow missile and that was the reel for the copper wire that's hooked up to the generator. Lol!!

Guyfang

Staff member
Why, did you work on TOW? Or just fire them? You know why TOW had cables running from the launcher to the bird, don't you? So the crew could drag it back and try again!

Guyfang

Staff member
In 1980, I was in the 709th Misl-Maint Company, Ft. Lewis Washington. Never seen anything but HAWK for the last 8 years. The 709th fixed Tow, Schlaile, Dragon, Vulk-Chap and a bunch of other stuff. I had to take over as the platoon Sgt for the black box boys. They were some strange guys. Never a dull moment. About the third week in the shop, I was called over to look at a tow, night sight. To see how it worked. When these buttheads were nice to me, it was time to count your fingers and put your wallet in your shirt pocket. I should have known something was up.

The launcher was under a big piece of canvas, and pointed down a long plywood tunnel, to simulate a night shot. The chief butthead, George Reilly, (with a name like that, what should you expect) explained how it all worked and told me to "give it a shot". A small target appeared in the sight, I aimed, got all ready, and fired. There is a tow simulator device, that sounds just like a tow being fired. It looks like a firecracker, on max steroids. The buttheads had installed it. When it went off, I almost had to go change not only my underwear, but my pants and boots! The entire shop, about 40 guys, got the laugh of their lives. But as Plt Daddy, I had the last laugh! That's another story!!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TOW wires are a huge flight hazard when flying low. NOE
When going into a new AO, one of the first things you do is mark your maps where TOWs have been fired.

That wire is almost impossible to see during the day.
Forget it completely under goggles.

We had a bird come back one night with TOW wire wrapped around the mast and Control tubes.
Luckly the wire broke before any more wrapped around.
Crew didn't feel any feedback or binding of controls.
They were lucky.
Helos and crews have been lost because of that wire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks