• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a hookup

hammick

I bought an MEP-802a that is mounted on an LTT-TQG trailer. I plan to use it at my offgrid barn (altitude is 5,100 feet if that matters).

I have a solar system with a 120/240v solar inverter/charger. The charging input breaker is a 240v 30a breaker.

I plan to a 100' 10/4 transfer box cord to hook it to my barn. I currently have an L14-30R plug in a waterproof box on the exterior of the barn. I'll probably install an L14-30P to the trailer and wire it to the 802a lugs. Then I can connect the cords at both ends and be protected if it rains or snows. The genset will be parked in the barn when I'm not there.

My neutral is grounded to my ufer ground at the main panel in the barn. I won't bond neutral to ground at the genset. No need for a transfer switch since I don't have grid power.

Any problems with my plan? Thanks.

Here is a link to the cord I plan to buy:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCOA9Q8...TF8&colid=2QJFR8HBU36XT&coliid=I1ILCKM90RFOUM

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For safety I'd think you'd want the L14-30R on the end of the 10/4 cord from the genset and the barn connector should be a L14-30P.
Wouldn't want to have HOT prongs on the cord from the genset.

0003521_328.jpeg

hammick

For safety I'd think you'd want the L14-30R on the end of the 10/4 cord from the genset and the barn connector should be a L14-30P.
Wouldn't want to have HOT prongs on the cord from the genset.
Correct. Don't want a suicide cord. I'll take the one off the barn and put it on the trailer and put a male connector on the barn.

Thanks.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK, but
If your running it 100' you would want to step up to something like southwire viper soow 8/4 for that kind of distance. Those plugs are fine for indoor, and covered connections. Outside you want to go with something different. If you want to connect it to a off-grid barn, I would suggest you go ahead and put a proper 30amp generator inlet. Its angled and keeps the plug covered during weather. Pricey stuff. Why 100ft?

30amp gen inlet

Generator is really secondary power, you have a full panel which is properly grounded. The generator will need all 4 wires connected, and the bonding strap is removed ( dis-connected) because you are using the main ground at the panel.

8/4 SOOW cord would be what you want for 100ft

hammick

Howdy,
OK, but
If your running it 100' you would want to step up to something like southwire viper soow 8/4 for that kind of distance. Those plugs are fine for indoor, and covered connections. Outside you want to go with something different. If you want to connect it to a off-grid barn, I would suggest you go ahead and put a proper 30amp generator inlet. Its angled and keeps the plug covered during weather. Pricey stuff. Why 100ft?

30amp gen inlet

Generator is really secondary power, you have a full panel which is properly grounded. The generator will need all 4 wires connected, and the bonding strap is removed ( dis-connected) because you are using the main ground at the panel.

8/4 SOOW cord would be what you want for 100ft
Thanks for the info Daybreak. My thoughts on 100' are simply for less noise. My barn has steel siding and roof and even a super quiet inverter/generator next to the building can be heard in the living quarters on the opposite side of the barn. I think the steel has a reverb effect. 100' of wire would allow me to have the genset approximately 75-80' from the barn.

A local electrician is selling 6/4 tray cable for $2 a foot if I buy 100' or more. It's similar to this stuff but the 8ga ground is insulated. http://www.wesbellwireandcable.com/...awg-500-mcm/TC-ER-Tray-6-awg-4-conductor.html

One more conductor than I need but it would allow for three phase down the road if I ever needed it. It also looks pretty pliable which is important so I can coil the wire on the front of the trailer.

Down the road (retirement) if we are living up there for months at a time I will build a garage just big enough for the trailer/genset and bury/hardwire everything. I'd add remote start at that time.

I like the outlet you linked to.

BTW the wire size calculator I used specified 10awg with a 3% voltage drop and 8awg with a 2% drop.

http://www.paigewire.com/pumpWireCalc.aspx

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Usually when someone talks about plugs etc... your talking about portable. SOOW wire is that. You are going with direct burial permanent installation. You might as well use solid copper wire the entire way and just connect to the lugs on the generator and connect directly to the panel.

edit note;
I see what else is the problem. You used a wire calculator for solid copper wire. SJOOW, and SOOW cable in 10/4 are only rated to 25amps. That is not even going 10ft. That is also why I suggested you need to go to 8/4 wire which starts at 35 amps.

Southwire Viper SOOW

Last edited:

hammick

Howdy,
Usually when someone talks about plugs etc... your talking about portable. SOOW wire is that. You are going with direct burial permanent installation. You might as well use solid copper wire the entire way and just connect to the lugs on the generator and connect directly to the panel.

edit note;
I see what else is the problem. You used a wire calculator for solid copper wire. SJOOW, and SOOW cable in 10/4 are only rated to 25amps. That is not even going 10ft. That is also why I suggested you need to go to 8/4 wire which starts at 35 amps.

Southwire Viper SOOW
Thanks. I'm not seeing anyone that actually sells the "Viper" product to individuals. Isn't the Cerrowire rubber 8/4 linked below the same thing?

I'm looking for wire that can be easily coiled on the front of my trailer genset (portable) and down the road direct buried when I permanently install the genset. Not sure I can have both so I will just go with SOOW that can be coiled for now and get direct bury wire down the road.

http://www.amazon.com/Cerrowire-283...60482479&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=8/4+soow+viper

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I'm not seeing anyone that actually sells the "Viper" product to individuals. Isn't the Cerrowire rubber 8/4 linked below the same thing?

I'm looking for wire that can be easily coiled on the front of my trailer genset (portable) and down the road direct buried when I permanently install the genset. Not sure I can have both so I will just go with SOOW that can be coiled for now and get direct bury wire down the road.

http://www.amazon.com/Cerrowire-283...60482479&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=8/4+soow+viper
Howdy,
2 different types of wire

Direct burial wire will be solid copper wire. UF-B type. Dig a trench and drop it in.
Type UF-B cable is generally used as feeder to outside post lamps, pumps, and
other loads or apparatus fed from a distribution point in an existing building
as specified in the National Electrical Code[SUP]®[/SUP]1
UF-B cable may be used underground, including direct burial

Heavy abuse stranded, flexible cord is SOOW type, because of the flexibility you loose some amperage because of the 4 stranded wires in the rubber casing. You are paying for the stranded flexibility, rubber casing. I do not think it is direct burial.

Southwire is just one of many companies out there. They call there's viper wire.

8/4 SOOW wire will handle 35 amps

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks