• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a House hookup

Guyfang

Staff member
I do not normally get into this type of thing. I fix stuff and house hook ups in the States are something foreign to me. Unless we are talking about how its done in Germany. Different deal then.

I read the whole thing from start to finish, twice. Load shedding. You want that for a good reason. But when you are not at home anyway, the load your house is drawing, is anyway much smaller. From what I read in post #5, I am guessing, that when you work, no one is home? If so, your 802A should be more then enough. And load shedding unnecessary.

Load shedding, would be of more importance to you, when you are at home. That's when you have considerably more load. Or perhaps you went to the store, and the power fails.

You may be worrying about something you don't need to. What you need to do is figure what loads will reset themselves if you have an outage and an Auto Restart system. That would exclude washer and dryer. Most folks do not turn on a stove when going away from the house. Most folks do not leave the lights on, or at best, a few on a timer?

So whats that leave? Should not be a big list. Before I spent the money, I would do the math.

BlackhawkMTP

I do not normally get into this type of thing. I fix stuff and house hook ups in the States are something foreign to me. Unless we are talking about how its done in Germany. Different deal then.

I read the whole thing from start to finish, twice. Load shedding. You want that for a good reason. But when you are not at home anyway, the load your house is drawing, is anyway much smaller. From what I read in post #5, I am guessing, that when you work, no one is home? If so, your 802A should be more then enough. And load shedding unnecessary.

Load shedding, would be of more importance to you, when you are at home. That's when you have considerably more load. Or perhaps you went to the store, and the power fails.

You may be worrying about something you don't need to. What you need to do is figure what loads will reset themselves if you have an outage and an Auto Restart system. That would exclude washer and dryer. Most folks do not turn on a stove when going away from the house. Most folks do not leave the lights on, or at best, a few on a timer?

So whats that leave? Should not be a big list. Before I spent the money, I would do the math.
That makes a lot of sense. I guess I never really thought about it that way because I knew I would be there if something went wrong. I got tunnel vision on what if this happens when I'm gone but you're right. Nothing is going to be on that the MEP-802a can't handle while I'm away. I have a propane water heater efficient heat pump that switches over to propane when it gets real cold, and an efficient AC unit. I never even leave the house with the dryer turned on, I even try to turn out all the lights before I leave. I guess the thing I should be concerned about is wet stacking when I'm gone because it really won't be drawing any juice.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Whats the longest time period you might be gone? Wet stacking is a problem, but not all that hard to correct. If you run a few days at low load, a few hours at full, of 80-90% will clear it up.

BlackhawkMTP

Whats the longest time period you might be gone? Wet stacking is a problem, but not all that hard to correct. If you run a few days at low load, a few hours at full, of 80-90% will clear it up.
More than likely a few days other than if I find myself on vacation somewhere for a week or two.

Another quick question that I'm sure has been covered here extensively before but what are some good parts to have on hand other than the obvious oil and fuel filters, and serpentine belt? I know that I have read a few comments on this before but I can't find the thread in the search function now. I plan on doing the ultimate fuel nut fix soon. I live in a small community which is an airpark with a grass runway. I think most of my neighbors (6 houses here total) will end up with a MEP generator after they see mine running. The neighbor beside me already bought his so I would imagine at least one maybe two more neighbors will be purchasing a similar setup. My question is what parts should our little community keep on hand to keep these things going for years if we have about 3 or 4 of them setup? I'm sure most of the generators will be the MEP-803a. Mine will probably be the only MEP-802a. I know that pretty much all the 802a & 803a parts are interchangeable. Also, in one post I remember reading that if you have a plastic S1 you should look for a MK3 switch. What is a MK3 switch?

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
It looks like you are well on your way. :)
You can start in this thread, the 2nd post has quick links to many things to think about. The 3rd has the links to the manuals here.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that pin and sleeve connector a male or female receptacle? The one in your post looks like a female receptacle, and male plug. You don't want to have hot pins on the plug, if the male end is on the generator. That would create a potential safety/shock hazard.

BlackhawkMTP

Is that pin and sleeve connector a male or female receptacle? The one in your post looks like a female receptacle, and male plug. You don't want to have hot pins on the plug, if the male end is on the generator. That would create a potential safety/shock hazard.

The Plug does have pins in it, I didn't think about that. Can't they be swapped around? I think I remembered a thread where someone on this site said they could because they had the same issue with their plug.

Last edited:

Scoobyshep

The Plug does have pins in it, I didn't think about that. Can't they be swapped around? I think I remembered a thread where someone on this site said they could because they had the same issue with their plug.
They make pin and sleeve outlets and inlets. just have to be sure you are 1 ordering the correct gender and 2 the proper volt and amp rating as the pin configuration changes for each volt and amp rating.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't want to get new connectors, you could reverse your setup, with the cable coming out of the panel (assuming that's legit in your area), and the receptacle installed on the generator. That is how I set up my 802, since I use it for other uses besides backup power, so I can just plug in whatever I need. In my case, I had to make a small adapter plate to hold the receptacle in the cable outlet hole on the generator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks