• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802a Injection Pump no output

Tommytone

I have, as so many have had, a low hour mep 802a that will not start likely due to stuck injection pump. My question is whether there are any items I have missed prior to removing and cleaning the pumps.

I have emptied and cleaned the tank.
Installed new drain and draw straw fittings.
Fuels filters.

I have bled the system per the TM and have fuel flow when I loosen the top nut on the injection pump.

The fuel shutoff arm does cycle to open but seems to open part way prior to then slowly opening the rest of the way.

When cranking there is no fuel coming out of the injection pumps.

I did pull the plug where you can sort of see the rail and I do not see much if any movement. Should I see anything of note here?

I am pretty sure the next step is to remove the pumps per the Tm steps, one at a time, and clean them but I wanted to see if anyone had any other thoughts or insight prior to doing that?

Tommytone

Some post say they can be soaked assembled in the can? Any thoughts on that One way or the other?

If you have them out taking the top off and pulling out the spring, washer etc seems logical but if that is not needed why risk it.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just un-stuck a pair of 802 IP (Metering Pumps). Both were stuck with the return spring compressed.
I tried soaking them assembled in Berryman Carb/Parts cleaner. Still stuck. I them removed the top, springs and parts from each.
Like this..
1712441009209.png

I then soaked in the same solution for another 3 days. Still stuck. Couldn't rotate the metering pin either.

I then gently used a brass rod as a punch and small hammer to get each pump to finally free up. They were still sticky but moved.
1712441101092.png

Finally all the way down.
1712441167035.png

I soaked for a day, exercised each and they got much better. Soaked another day exercised them and finally there was no sticking at all.

Last edited:

Tommytone

I just un-stuck a pair of 802 IP (Metering Pumps). Both were stuck with the return spring compressed.
I tried soaking them assembled in Berrymans Carb/Parts cleaner. Still stuck. I them removed the top, springs and parts from each.
Like this..
View attachment 920739

I then soaked in the same solution for another 3 days. Still stuck. Couldn't rotate the metering pin either.

I then gently used a brass rod as a punch and small hammer to get each pump to finally free up. They were still sticky but moved.
View attachment 920740

Finally all the way down.
View attachment 920741

I soaked for a day, exercised each and they got much better. Soaked another day exercised them and finally there was no sticking at all.
Did you use regular Berrymans or the Pro version?

2Pbfeet

Once you have the pump in acetone / carb cleaner, in a sealed container, you also can put the container into the water bath of an ultrasonic cleaner for a while. I prefer containers like ziplock bags or latched containers so the lids don't vibrate loose. Due to flammability concerns, I would never ultrasound anything in a flammable solvent in an open container. Carburetor cleaner is generally acetone with a little bit of light oil to provide lubrication and resistance to flash corrosion.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Tommytone

Once you have the pump in acetone / carb cleaner, in a sealed container, you also can put the container into the water bath of an ultrasonic cleaner for a while. I prefer containers like ziplock bags or latched containers so the lids don't vibrate loose. Due to flammability concerns, I would never ultrasound anything in a flammable solvent in an open container. Carburetor cleaner is generally acetone with a little bit of light oil to provide lubrication and resistance to flash corrosion.

All the best,

2Pbfeet
Are the shims metal or plastic?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would benefit you to read through this thread... it will have a lot of IP tips and documents that are useful to you:

Tommytone

LITD,

Have I ever posted this document before? I thought so, but it late and I am old and in the way.
This is the injector diagram correct? I am looking for the pump diagram if one exists. I will look through the linked pages as well. Good news is the pump freed up so on to reassemble it but I want to make sure I put it back correctly.

Tommytone

Does it match the document Guy provided?
No. I am almost 100% sure the document he shared, which I need as well, is the exploded view of the injector not the injection pump.

From my memory I have it back together right but, as the video the guy you linked to posted on you tube showed, they sort of "spring" apart when you open them up.

My lower pump section is together with no issues and, as the pump appears to work, I do not want to take it apart further to avoid the issues he is having. Unless I need to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks