• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802A keeps popping CB1 Breaker

Coley

MEP 802A keeps popping CB1 Breaker **SOLVED** Page 2

I have a 802A that has been running fine. I installed the remote/autostart from Inova Hightech. It has run fine for a few weeks. Last night it ran for 2 hours, then died. When I checked it. CB1 was popped. If I reset CB1, it will crank, start, and soon as it starts putting power out ( I have a light plugged into the convenience recepticle) it dies. Runs maybe 2 seconds before CB1 pops.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

CF

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a way to measure the current of the circuit?

You need to know if the trip condition is real or if the breaker is bad.

Coley

Diode at CR1 I think is good. Tested out at .553 one way, and OL the other. on startup the breaker CB1 max was 5.4 amps.

CF

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a 7.5a breaker so I would say that it is suspect at this point. Pop it in and out a few times and try again. If it won't stay in I would recommend replacing it.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you measured the current does it come up to that level from the start or does it start out lower and come up to that after the engine gets to speed? What current do you get if you turn the switch to prime/run but don't start the engine?

bchauvette

If you are actually getting over current at the breaker then you have a short someplace. My MEP003 breaker control 24V DC would pop between 3 minutes and 4 hours of running. Took me 2 meters, 2 tanks of fuel and 3 days to get it. Turned out the shut off solonoid winding was shorting. The schematic will tell you which devices are fed by CB1 you need to systematically check those devices and the path to those devices. Perhaps somebody with experience can point to the more likely offenders.

Coley

When you measured the current does it come up to that level from the start or does it start out lower and come up to that after the engine gets to speed? What current do you get if you turn the switch to prime/run but don't start the engine?

It starts out in the 2-4 range then spikes once the unit starts. I'll check the prime only level this afternoon.

CF

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK. If it goes into OC only after the engine is up to speed I would check the diodes for the exciter.

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd start with removing the remote start unit. Now, that probably won't fix it, but it worked before the r/s unit was installed, so at least with the r/s removed you can see if that somehow causes the problem.

If that doesn't stop the breaker pop I'd still leave the r/s off until the unit is working again.

It would be important to know exactly when the breaker pops. There are a couple of timing actions here, mostly around the fuel solenoid and the starter disconnect switch.

Fuel solenoid engages from the starter solenoid (PULL) , but is held (HOLD) on by a relay once the starter disconnects.

The starter disconnect switch disconnects the starter and moves some 24 vdc around once the engine reaches a certain RPM.

Depending on exactly when the breaker pops the problem could be traced to other circuitry based on what those two things are doing at the time.

NOte that the starter disconnect switch looks like just anther relay in the control box, but upon inspection it is not a relay, but a logic circuit board inside a relay housing. It's on the far left of the relay banks. It is possible to install that switch 180 degrees out which will cause an OIL PRESSURE fault when trying to start. It is also possible to install that switch so that not all contacts connect in the socket. If you haven't fooled with that switch then it should be OK -- I'm just passing that info on in case you need to get into the circuitry that involves that switch.

I have had that circuit breaker pop when there was a problem with the fuel solenoid wiring. I don't think that the generator "likes" to have the PULL and HOLD circuits on at the same time. If, somehow the PULL remains on when the HOLD is energized the the unit would do exactly what you describe - shut down after it just started to make some AC 'cause the two coils of that solenoid draw in excess of 7.5 amps.

good luck - shorts are easy to find when there is smoke and burning, but when it is intermittant it gets more difficult.

z

Last edited:

Coley

Problem Solved. First I would like to thank everyone who offered advice and helped me with this issue. Very much appreciated. :goodjob:

After a lot of messing around, and looking at things I found the problem. The wires going to the oil pressure sensor near the dead crank switch had broken. whoever wire tied that bundle left very little slack and the wires broke. Although they broke clean even with the insulation around them, the ends were still bare and one of the wires was grounding out on the body of the pressure sensor and shorting everything out. I should have thought to look for an issue like this first, as the problem seemed intermittent. I put new spade ends on those wires and cut the wire tie and put a new on in with more slack. Thanks a bunch for all your time.

CF

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news. That is a common problem and something you should keep an eye on. The vibration of the engine wiggles the wiring around there a LOT on some of the units.

CT-Mike

Nice job on the troubleshooting. On another note, how do you like the Inova remote start module? I have been thinking about getting one to make it easier for SWMBO to start the machine when I am working nights and the power goes out.

Coley

I like it a lot. We have two we have installed. One as a remote start, the other as an auto start that is connected to an inverter. Both are working great. Peter was very helpful with any questions during the install.

CF

CT-Mike

I like it a lot. We have two we have installed. One as a remote start, the other as an auto start that is connected to an inverter. Both are working great. Peter was very helpful with any questions during the install.

CF
Thanks for that, I will be looking into adding this module after the holidays.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks