• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a: need aux fuel tank 20 gallon preferred but 10 would probably work

hammick

Need an aux tank for my MEP-802a. I already own a couple of the aux lines but no bung adapters and no tank. Can anybody recommend a complete tank ready to go or something I can easily put together? Thanks.

hammick

Get some 20 liter Euro Jerry cans off Ebay and the adapter that fits them. Adapter here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threa...ose-for-wavian-nato-cans.181889/#post-2229291

I got mine from atlanticbritish. Find the store, then search the store for a 4 can combo. And don't forget the nozzles.
Thanks. I already own one of those but I'll be running the genset unattended with auto start at an off grid vacation place with solar. Will only run if snow covers the panels for any length of time. 5 gallons likely not enough. Is the "4 can combo" four cans somehow welded together for 20 gallons. 4 individual cans ain't gonna work. I searched their website and nothing came up.

Zed254

4 separate cans for $200. Ones I got last year were manufactured in Europe by Wavian. The 802 at full load consumes 1/2 gallon per hour. So each 5 gallon can is around 10 hours of run time. And if your onboard tank level switch hangs up you only loose 3 or 4 gallons of overflow fuel. Plenty of other larger options available.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can buy smaller aux type tanks from Northern Tool, just have to install the fitting you need into it and should be good to go.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked at getting 55 gallon drums for fuel storage? I use the black plastic ones that were used to ship cooking oil. They work great. Metal ones are fine too if in good shape.

Years back I used a 55 gallon drum to move diesel turned out the diesel dissolved a thin liner inside the barrel and plugged the filters and ruined the fuel pump . When I first found that barrel I though wow it is so clean inside this will work great .

hammick

Have you looked at getting 55 gallon drums for fuel storage? I use the black plastic ones that were used to ship cooking oil. They work great. Metal ones are fine too if in good shape.
Thanks for the tip but 55 gallons is jut too much. Place won't be vacant for more than 60 days (90 at the most) and the generator will only be remotely run over the winter when snow is covering my solar panels or when there are three cloudy days in a row.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm using one of these on my Generac QP7500D generator.

only catch is, you're need to make some other type of vent, as the one on it is built into the fuel cap, so if it's getting rained on you will probably get moisture into the tank.
Plus side is though because it has a supply and a return connection, you can make a simple vent easily enough, and leave the one in the fuel cap shut.

One like this thread would probably be great for it

hammick

So I think I will go with this 12 gal plastic tank. Any chance I can easily source an adpater to use the aux hose that came with my MEP-802a or should I just use 1/4" to a 5/16" barb and use new fuel line? My fuel line is 1,200 miles away with my generator so I can't take it to the plumbing store to find adapters.

Thanks for any help.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years back I used a 55 gallon drum to move diesel turned out the diesel dissolved a thin liner inside the barrel and plugged the filters and ruined the fuel pump . When I first found that barrel I though wow it is so clean inside this will work great .
interesting. Wonder what the drum was used for. Doesn't sound like the coating was fuel compatible.

One of the reasons I look for oil drums is any coatings will likely be fuel compatible.

Reactions: 98G

Zed254

So I think I will go with this 12 gal plastic tank. Any chance I can easily source an adpater to use the aux hose that came with my MEP-802a or should I just use 1/4" to a 5/16" barb and use new fuel line? My fuel line is 1,200 miles away with my generator so I can't take it to the plumbing store to find adapters.

Thanks for any help.

Looks like you will need a fitting. This one is located at Discount Hydraulic Hose and will work with military fuel hose that sometimes come with the 802s:
Part #: 8-2404-05-04
8-2404-05-04 | 5/16" JIC Male x 1/4" NPTF Male (Brass)

$3.31

hammick

20 or 30 gallon black plastic barrel...no mods necessary...
Sound like a great idea but not sure how it's possible without a fuel pickup. Unless you are talking about putting the aux fuel line directly in the barrel. Seems like the braiding on the fuel line would eventually dissolve and clog the aux fuel pump.

hammick

Looks like you will need a fitting. This one is located at Discount Hydraulic Hose and will work with military fuel hose that sometimes come with the 802s:
Part #: 8-2404-05-04
8-2404-05-04 | 5/16" JIC Male x 1/4" NPTF Male (Brass)

$3.31
Thank you very much!!!

hammick

Will the tank be stationary and refilled in place, or do you intend to disconnect it and haul it to the local truck stop to top it off?
Stationary and refilled in place. Tank will be located inside the garage along with the generator. The generator is exhausted to the outside through a thimble. A professional did the install and exhaust. Genset is currently located on isolation rubbers but I am going to bolt it to the concrete floor before I run it unattended. I will have a security camera on it so I can view it live when I run it unattended. It will be started using the AGS (auto generator start) system on my solar equipment and the auto start system from member Kurt Klopp. There will be several shutdown parameters on the AGS like SOC (state of charge) and voltage so it will automatically shut off in the unlikely event I lose manual control if the internet goes down. I only plan to run the genset unattended if my solar batteries are at risk for permanent damage because of snow covering the panels or consecutive cloudy days.

I don't like the idea of running generators unattended but I feel I have mitigated the risks. I have close to 30 hour running the genset in the garage with zero issues. I would never even think of doing this with a gasoline genset.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks