• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a - need help starting it. Likely fuel or injector?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Group 31 batteries will replace the GI ones it came with. Blems are about $50 each around here. Ask at your Interstate dealer, or other battery wholesalers.

FriendshipUSA

Mike KK4AiF - Thanks for the suggestion.

I was not able to find a new battery locally for less than $110. A web search shows a $79 battery at two Home DePot stores. I called one. They said they don't even stock the size or can get one in.

------- workaround? --------

Thinking outside the box for a cheap workaround … Batteries from an auto parts savage yard? ... Why not?

MEP-802a requires battery group size 51R (positive terminal on the right). Group 51 (positive terminal on the left) may also fit, my assessment. The generator's battery cables look long enough to accommodate or you can install battery flipped around.

Research: Group size 51R batteries are used in Honda Accords (2016-2003) and Honda Civics (2016-1992). The older Honda Civics (pre-1992) use battery group size 51. There are likely other cars that require Group size 51R or 51 batteries.

There are many of Hondas around and accidents do happen, literally. Statically, some of these cars will have a newer batter based on the manufacture date stamp on the battery. The salvage yards may sell these cheap, perhaps a few dollars more than their recycle value. The batteries could be tested using a load tester. The salvage yard may have one. If not, local Auto Parts store will. Testing is free. If one battery doesn’t work, then, return it and get another. The worst case is that you are out a few dollars.

Last edited:

FriendshipUSA

Hi everyone,

It has been some time since my last post. I have updates, tips, and lessons learned.

First, Success! The MEP-802a is running well and the house is wired up for it.

Status where I left off:

1) Batteries:
a. - The work around worked! I visited a local savage yard. They just received a bunch of cars to process. There were four size 51R batteries. Two had sticker with a manufacture date less than one year and each carried a 3-year warranty (stamped on the battery). One was from Sears and the other from Advanced Auto, a local auto-parts store. The cost was $30 each with exchange. I charged them up, installed them, and fired up the generator.

b. – There is sufficient battery cable length to accommodate ether battery type, 51R or 51.

c. - The 51-series batteries are smaller than the original military batteries. Install the batteries with the terminal posts facing away from the engine (towards the outside). The gap caused by the smaller batteries will need to be filled so that the battery hold down bar will work property. I plan to use plywood.

2) Trailer title & tags status and a tip
Maryland is pricy to tag and title a trailer (also for anything else). If you live is Maryland, or a similar pricy state, suggest talking to an Auto Tag & Title Service store about getting a Maine tag and title. If they don’t know about this, then, check with another store. Maine’s costs are much less than Maryland. My trailer is too old (built in the 70’s) to qualify for get a Maine title, but, I can get Maine tags for it. Maryland’s tag renewal is 2-years. Maine’s is 12-years (my understanding). The overall costs, including the Auto Tag & Title service store fee is cheaper.

3) House electrical setup
I started installing a 10-curcuit-transfer switch and quickly realize this set up won’t meet my requirements. So I switch to a different approach and installed an interlock (~$70 on eBay) switch. The interlock is a mechanical devices that lets ether the generator's circuit beaker or the service panel's main breaker to be turned ON, but, not both. For example, the generator’s circuit breaker is ON and the main circuit breaker will be OFF. The generator is wired to generator circuit breaker and it will powers all the circuits in the service panel (the main circuit breaker is OFF). Power management is needed to ensure the house demands don’t exceed what the generator can provide.

For a good understanding what was done see the following YouTube videos:

Interlock Switch verses Transfer Switch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbtRxcb-cmA
Follow-up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbtRxcb-cmA

I had allot of help getting to this point and very much appreciate all the feedback and guidance received. I hope my venture will be useful for others.

This is a great forum!

Cheers,
FriendshipUSA

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks