• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-802a overload capacity

Ratch

I'm wondering if maybe these units can provide more than 5kw after all. I've been reading the engine specs, and it's stated to provide 8.5kw. I can't see the gen head consuming 3kw of inefficiency, so I'm thinking there's more to it.
I ran mine loaded into a 4500w water heater element for about an hour, and it really didn't even flinch. It can't handle two elements, but I'm thinking I may buy a 2kw element, then a 1kw, and keep adding them on to see where it chokes.
Running my house, it lost frequency when the water heater and pump were both on simultaneously, while the 002 grunts through it.
I'm wondering if I had more load on it than I knew of, and my experience with overloading is biased incorrectly.

Crabbie

I have an 802 that struggles at 4kw (80%) I guess I need to check the injectors. I just last week picked up an 002 with 3 hours on the clock, I wiped out the tank, topped off the oil, it had fresh filters and cranked it for about 15 seconds. She runs like a top and doesn't even flinch at loads that the 802 chokes on.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i have wondered about that same thing with the 803. if so, you can fool the load protection system and 'recalibrate' the load meter by taking windings out of the load coils. remember it is not just what the engine will handle, but the heat in the gen head. you could always add a small turbo also.

Keith_J

The generator also has to run the loads of cooling fans, alternator for charging system, coolant pump and the like. This is why the 002/003 engines have much greater power output than their respective 5 and 10 kW electrical outputs. If I recall correctly, that is 16 and 28 Hp.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
my 802 with a 5kw load shows 80% and is working but i would not say struggling. i am on the look out for some more loading coils so i can dial it in. the 803's with 10kw load don't seem to be working as hard.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering if maybe these units can provide more than 5kw after all. ...
I'm wondering if I had more load on it than I knew of, and my experience with overloading is biased incorrectly.
Resistive loads are a 1.0 power factor. With a 1.0 PF load the 802 can provide 5000/0.8=6,250 Watts
If you are running a purely resistive load such as a water heater and incandescent lights it should happily put out 6,250 watts and would be at 100 % load on the meter.
I verified this yesterday with a 240 V 3,840 watt resistive load and an external ammeter as well as monitoring the voltage across R11.
At 3,840 watts the 802 was at 62% load on it's load meter.
The 5000 watt rating for the 802 is with a 0.8 power factor load.

Last edited:

Glockfan

I have an 802 that struggles at 4kw (80%) I guess I need to check the injectors. I just last week picked up an 002 with 3 hours on the clock, I wiped out the tank, topped off the oil, it had fresh filters and cranked it for about 15 seconds. She runs like a top and doesn't even flinch at loads that the 802 chokes on.
How many hours are on the 802 that struggles with a 4kw load? Something isn't right...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks