• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a power generation?

Crabbie

I have the 802 that when load tested keeps up just fine until at about 70 of capacity, then it bogs down. Anyone have any ideas, pull the injectors and pump maybe to have them tested, other thoughts?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
does it start making black smoke? if yes it is getting plenty of fuel. is air filter ok? how much load do you have on it? do not trust the load meter, either calculate the load or use a clamp on meter.

Crabbie

Yes plenty of smoke and fuel, good idea on not trusting the load meter. I will check the load another way, now that you mention it , I guestimate that I had closer to 100-110% load on it. what should the 802s act like at 100-110% load?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i load test mine with a 5kw air handler and it shows 80% and you can tell it is working with a pretty good haze of black exhaust.

BELinNC

I have the same issue with my Mep-802a. I just got it wired as a back up to the house. It only has 20 hours now and came with the log book showing it had been rebuilt when it had 13hrs. It runs great and every thing seems to work except the oil gauge. Anyway, at 50% showing it will bog down if you add anything else. For example I turned on all the lights in the house and two bathroom fans and it showed right at 50%. Everything is good at that point and if I turn on one burner of the stove it bogs down and will not recover even if I turn the burner off. I love the generator, but it seems a little weak.

BELinNC

I forgot to mention that I don't notice any black smoke when mine bogs down. It just seems to die out. I just changed the fuel filter and no change in behavior. I was thinking the governor is not adjusting to the increased load, but I am a beginner with these things.

Ratch

Mine seems to drop to 40hz and struggle at more than 5kw (that's when the 4500w water heater is on and the well pump kicks on from locked rotor). I don't think I checked the load meter, but I've usually considered the meter to be gravy, not reliable.