• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A questions

robert248

Acquired a MEP-802A and its had the following maintenance done on it before I got it.

What do I need to do given the service history below? I have no experince working on diesel generators and wanting to learn.

For those who were in the service with the relevant MOS and know what these mean can you provide additional context of what was standard for these went into depot for service?

Basic stuff Im doing to it that I konw it needs at a minimum.
Im replacing coolant tank that was damaged and the hoses plus adding coolant to it. Also will be draining the diesel out of the tank and replacing with fresh diesel. (What is the best diesel to buy if that is a thing?) The unit did not come with any filters, oil, fuel filters, so replacing those. Drained the oil and will be replacing with new oil and filter. Air filter was in good shape so will not be changing that. Have not yet purchased batteries yet.

The unit was built in circa 2008. Removed from service due to cosmetic damage (something likely falling on the unit causing the damage) and there not being any replacement parts that could have kept the thing in service. Was a good deal at the govplant auction. It only had less than 200 hours on it. The records go back to 2015 then through 2023. No idea when it was last started but the video on the govplant showed it turning over and there is markings on it that says it will start so Im not too worried there.

Im reading the posts here on what to do and those are helpful. Any other insights would be super helpful. If there is a photo or two that would assist in fruther identifying items that need to be repalced or looked furhter into I can take those and post for review.

Description​
Priority​
Order Type​
Description​
Actual release​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Annual (1 Year)​
PM02​
VG2-Annual​
11/04/2015​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
PM01​
NEEDS CLEANING​
09/30/2016​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
High (X)​
PM01​
REPAIR TO (Unit name redacted here DEPLOYMENT)​
11/05/2016​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
High (X)​
PM01​
BATTERY​
06/26/2018​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Biennial (2 Years)​
PM02​
VG2-Biennial​
07/24/2018​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Annual (1 Year)​
PM02​
VG2-Annual​
07/11/2018​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Annual (1 Year)​
PM02​
VG2-Annual​
09/25/2020​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Annual (1 Year)​
PM02​
VG2-Annual​
01/04/2022​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Medium​
PM01​
REPLACE BATTERIES​
06/23/2022​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Annual (1 Year)​
PM02​
5Kw_NCOMP​
02/14/2023​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
High (X)​
PM01​
REPLACE BATTERIES​
10/07/2022​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Medium​
PM01​
CODE FOR TURN IN​
01/18/2023​

rickf

I don't know the codes but I do know that replacing the batteries twice in a few months and then sending out for disposal would tell me it probably has a charging problem. DC voltage regulator issue? I am sure you will be hearing from Guyfang since this was his wheelhouse.

robert248

I don't know the codes but I do know that replacing the batteries twice in a few months and then sending out for disposal would tell me it probably has a charging problem. DC voltage regulator issue? I am sure you will be hearing from Guyfang since this was his wheelhouse.
I dont think its a DC voltage regulator issue. There was some additional information I had gotten to read about it and that was focused on the cosmetic damages to the exterior shell and how the agency was not able to source the damaged parts thus the only option being to mark it as excess and get rid of it. The remaining parts (coolant resrvior and fuel filter) are on order so hopefully in a week or two Ill get to start it and see how it runs.

What Im reading thus far is indicating that it should be run under a load when I eventually get it started. Im now trying to see about being able to do that (run it under a load).

Ray70

It was most likely neither of those 2 issues.
The 802 doesn't have a DC voltage regulator, it has an automotive style alternator and they aren't being removed from service specifically due to age, condition or cosmetic damage.
They are all being removed from service because they are being replaced by the more fuel efficient and emissions compliant 10XX series.
Depending on what panels are damaged, @Light in the Dark has some items that he reproduces.
Others here, including myself also sell used body panels.
But for initial start up you're on the right track.
Oil, antifreeze, filters
Also verify you have the Quad fuse modification done ( 3A fuse located to the left of the AC voltage regulator )
Check your fuel lines for leaks and seepage, both feed and return lines. ( very common failure )
and lastly read the manual and get familiar with the starting and operational procedures.
Once running and ready to test, get yourself something to use to progressively load it up to 100%
And yes, you want to run it at a decent load most of the time. Prolonged periods of light to no load will lead to wet stacking.
Whenever in doubt, ask someone here and they will get you on the right track.

Guyfang

Staff member
I dont think its a DC voltage regulator issue. There was some additional information I had gotten to read about it and that was focused on the cosmetic damages to the exterior shell and how the agency was not able to source the damaged parts thus the only option being to mark it as excess and get rid of it. The remaining parts (coolant resrvior and fuel filter) are on order so hopefully in a week or two Ill get to start it and see how it runs.

What Im reading thus far is indicating that it should be run under a load when I eventually get it started. Im now trying to see about being able to do that (run it under a load).

Get it to start and run, before anything else. Load testing can wait. Start, run, stay running, make voltage. Thats the priorities.

robert248

Here are a couple more photos.

Attachments

Ray70

Looks to me like the last time the switch was on with batteries in it the set was running and had oil pressure.
As soon as you turn the switch again oil pressure will read zero, so with it still reading 30 psi that means no one has touched it since the last time it was running.... ( unless the gage is dead )

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not the OEM, but it should work. GMG I assume?

It looks like the most readily available sub that some of us have used, off a Suzuki suv. No bottom drain, and diff top size. Just takes a bit of creativity (block off bottom drain hose, and run an adapter to size down from the overflow hose size down to that smaller barb). They work fine in these models.

robert248

Its not the OEM, but it should work. GMG I assume?

It looks like the most readily available sub that some of us have used, off a Suzuki suv. No bottom drain, and diff top size. Just takes a bit of creativity (block off bottom drain hose, and run an adapter to size down from the overflow hose size down to that smaller barb). They work fine in these models.
Yes, GMG. Thanks

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Ray70

Yup, the good old Suzuki Samauri overflow bottle!
AND, if any of you 802/803 guys out there need a cap for an OEM overflow bottle , head to Walmart, buy a 5Qt bottle of Super Tech Oil ( any viscosity will work ) this is the blue bottle / house brand Walmart oil.
Use the oil for whatever you desire, then take the black cap from the bottle, peel off the safety strip along the bottom and Viola! Perfect fit for your OEM bottle!

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question on the coolant reservoir. The one that came in is it going to work? It is apparently for the MEP-802A. It looks different than the factory model that part of the top broke off. What do you think?
Easy fix for the old one is a small bulk head fitting 1/4'' ID Hose Barb Thru-Bulk Head Hex Union Brass Fitting With Flat Washer

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks