• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A Totally Dead 24 V, Help me I must be stupid??

Crabbie

Ok, I purchased an MEP-802a from GL. It had clean fuel, filters and looks really nice. I did all the normal pre-start maintenance, cleaned the fuel tank, new filters, put in new batteries, yada yada.., . The issue is I don't have any 24V power to anything, no fuel pump, no power to the panel or lights, no crank, nothing at the diagnostic port, nada, totally dead.

Batteries are hooked up correctly, have 25.2 v at the terminals, switches are set correctly, 24v control circuit breaker tests ok. Have power to K18 (preheat) and K2 (crank relay) . There has to be something simple i am missing, any ideas???

Crabbie
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Journeyman Millwright and MEP-802A dumbass

Crabbie

Ok I am not stupid, just a newbie. All the control cables under the control panel were unhooked. The genset fired right up and runs nicely, now to track down the short, and the saga continues...............

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For an entirely different reason, I was sifting through the schematics and the hardware associated with the fuel sender(s) and liquid transmitters. I usually make a drawing of the circuitry just to get my arms around the problem. As usual with these units, the wiring is very logical, awfully convoluted, essentially simple, but with so many terminal boards and plugs/jacks involved there are plenty of opportunities for error....

Looking at the hardware and wiring next to the fuel tank, it appeared to me that there were many opportunities for shorts in the 24 vdc circuitry to develop in there -- somewhere where most people would not look for electrical problems.

So, if your short is in the 24vdc system, don't forget the rats nest of wiring at the fuel tank..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks