• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 803 exhaust pipe/extension

fpchief

I want to vent my exhaust out and away from the little shelter i will be building over it. It will not be fully enclosed however i would still not want the hot gas going directly into the cover. Is there a known source of supply for the correct pipe?
Kip

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use regular black iron pipe for this (its an NPT fitting). I forget if its 1" or 1.25" off the top of my head, but you just need a BI coupler and whatever length you want to extend the stack by.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it a good idea or bad idea to insulate pipe as well?
I would say it depends on clearances (like a wood stove chimney). You will definitely need to fab up a pass through box (or find something for a pellet stove and adapt it) so you are far enough away from combustible materials. YMMV

fpchief

This run will be only a couple of feet. Building the shelter down close to the top of the generator. Will make it fairly nice and conducive to my house...same shingles on it...etc. now i am thinking about moving it, taking blocks out and building a wood platform under it like another member did.

eatont9999

I plan on running mine straight up, horizontal, pass through shop wall, and up again. I will put a rain cap on the end. My goal is to avoid putting a hole in roof so I don't have to worry about water leaks. I want the output exhaust up and away from the shop wall so soot does not deposit all over the outside wall. I'm also going to put a union joint about a foot off the generator in case I need to service the unit, I don't have to disassemble the whole pipe run. If condensate is a concern for you, add a T at a 90 bend and cap the bottom after a short length of pipe. Water will collect there and evaporate next time the pipe heats up. I don't see condensate as an issue for me. If it were a gas engine, I would expect more condensate.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A drip leg and union like you are describing is a great idea. I have read threads about using a flexible exhaust section just so you don't pass vibration into full exhaust stack.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would sure use regular exhaust pipe for your extension. Schedule 40 water pipe is real heavy, especially when you start adding fittings like a union. Your Genney may be much smoother then my trusty MEP003, but it still shakes some, especially on start up or shut down. I used the 2 hole flanges often seen on Hot Rods, for disconnects. Sorry I can't find my pictures due to recently jumbled system here, but I've posted pictures of it before.

eatont9999

Dwnorton1, you have a really good idea there. I would hate for the exhaust flange to crack due to the weight of the pipe and the engine vibrations. A situation that is ripe for something failing somewhere over time.

As for regular exhaust tubing, I would need to compare the cost against iron pipe. I like the idea of a lighter weight run, though.

boatman69

I went with inch and a quarter 304 stainless. 3 inch nipple two couplings and a threaded cap. Merit brass on Amazon dirt cheap. Walker inch and 3/4 rain cap also Amazon cheap. I leave the exhaust completely capped off until it's time to run then unscrew the cap and screw on the rain cap that's attached to a coupling. The couplings are perfectly round and smooth almost looked machined but they are not.

eatont9999

I went with inch and a quarter 304 stainless. 3 inch nipple two couplings and a threaded cap. Merit brass on Amazon dirt cheap. Walker inch and 3/4 rain cap also Amazon cheap. I leave the exhaust completely capped off until it's time to run then unscrew the cap and screw on the rain cap that's attached to a coupling. The couplings are perfectly round and smooth almost looked machined but they are not.

Pics and part numbers if you have them, please.

fpchief

Here is the not quite finished exhaust. At least it will get out from under the shelter a little bit.