• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 803 help

plumb

I bought my second mep 803 and hooked it up to my house and it ran all the lights like my first unit , but i turned on my ac and the unit quit producing power , the i re closed the AC Circuit Interrupter and it produced power again to just kick power off again, turned air conditioning off and it run fine and produced power, my other generator would run the whole house , the generator would be working a little hard but (could tell there was a load) would run for days like this. This new generator never pulled down a load it just stops the producing power never heard it strain before power loss , seen videos of these generators pulling 15kw and still had more , anyone know the problem or how to fix it Thanx in advance
Clay

rcamacho

What is the measured amps you’re attempting to draw on the generator?
Did you load bank it first to see how much power you can produce up to its rated output?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be due to poor contacts in the S6 or S8 switch's. Poor contact in either of those can cause the Overload sensor to think there is an overload and cause an overload and the contactor to open.
With the set OFF I'd suggest exercising both switch's by moving them thru all their positions many times and then return them to the desire positions. Then retry the generator with the load. If that doesn't help get yourself a can of Deoxit. With the set OFF spray some Deoxit in the switch's and exercise them to clean the contacts. Then retry the generator with the load.
If that doesn't help then there may be an electrical issue with the Overload sensing circuit.

S6 & S8 are the AM/VM switch on the front panel and the Voltage Reconnection switch inside the control cube and the back wall.

Last edited:

Ray70

I second Kurt's suggestions on the switches. I've seen this same problem several times and cleaning the switches has worked every time for me!
Getting to the guts of the AC select switch requires removing the front cover, so my suggestion is to clean and exercise the AM/VM switch and just give the AC select switch a good workout ( with the machine off ) and see if that fixes it. If not, remove the cover and go after the AC switch with contact cleaner.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also worth popping the top covers off and checking all the wire terminals. Look for anything loose or discolored.

smokem joe

Mice love to build nests right where the wires junction coming from the gen head. I'd pull the top off and inspect wiring and clean the switches with Deoxit. This has fixed several units with problems for me.

jamawieb

So when it disconnects do you get the fault indicator OVERLOAD? If so, then everyone's comment on cleaning the switches is correct.

plumb

Thank you for the replies , i have not been back to check the unit yet i will post back and report what i have found , thanx again.
Clay

plumb

Thank You , to everyone who added in put on my problem , it ended up being the voltage switch . I cleaned it with compressed air and the generator made better power , but when the heavy load to it would trip. With the unit running and making power but not connected to any source i cycled the switch between 120 120/240 single phase several times and put load to it and slowly increased the load until i had my entire house with everything on five ton AC unit ran it that way for a hour then turned both AC units on in my toy hauler , at that point the generator was running nice and sounded good , at that point i turned on my 30 gallon air compressor on and had a good amount of black smoke coming from the exhaust running perfect , my percent load gauge doesn't work so bummer on that and at that point the generator had run for roughly 4 hour's , 30 minutes with the heavy load and then plugged a skill saw in and at that point a lot of black smoke and the motor started to stumble , let off on the saw and the generator recovered and kept that load for 30 more minutes , then started to turn things off until i had just the house with a few lights and AC running and ran the generator all night that way until 10 am the next day . Thank You again everybody i had no clue where to start. Clay

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really need to deoxidize all the contacts. If you found the compressed air helped clean one problem up, imagine what the right tool for the job can do? You need the chemical solution to remove the oxidation from the contacts on ALL switches. You might find that gauge might read after all.... deoxit is like under $10 a can.

jamawieb

You really need to deoxidize all the contacts. If you found the compressed air helped clean one problem up, imagine what the right tool for the job can do? You need the chemical solution to remove the oxidation from the contacts on ALL switches. You might find that gauge might read after all.... deoxit is like under $10 a can.
I agree with Light in the Dark. I almost guarantee that electrical cleaner will bring back your percent load gauge. That is the number 1 indicator of dirty contacts for me. I've been real lucky with Wal-mart electrical cleaner. Deoxit is fantansic but I can't get it local.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks