• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803 locking up, help?

Chainbreaker

A non-rotating core sounds like water intrusion flooded engines that were missing the exhaust flap. Rusted cylinders and stuck rings come to mind. Though many have been resurrected with a cylinder hone & rings. Of course there could be more catastrophic failures but you gotta roll the dice to find out.

Regardless, if you can hand pick you just might get lucky & get off lite as far as repairs to bring it back to life.

INFChief

I really think the motor that I’m replacing has all the parts I need aside from a good block, head and 1 piston. So I can use it as long as the core motor is stock bore. The guy has about 8 motors at that price, and I can hand pick which I want. As is I have $800 in the purchase of my generator and $300 in batteries.
Have you checked to see what your options will cost in comparison? For example;

Resleeve / new cylinder liner (and bore & hone & run bigger pistons if the undamaged other bore is too worn).

If the crank needs turned down or replaced?

Full gasket set, new rod & crank bearings, oil pump, etc.

I have no idea what a new or reconditioned engine costs but comparing that to repairing your block versus buying 3 or 5 per unknown blocks hoping one has a good block.

Again, I’m not familiar with those particular engines but getting a SBC or BBC resleeved and bored honed to size is not too expensive.