• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803 -S1 switch broke

gonzo119

S1 switch broke while in prime and run position. Tried to use a pair of pliers to start but the plastic is too worn. Pushed in the emergency stop switch to stop the fuel prime. Any ideas on how to start? Will dead crank start?
thank you!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If Jaime doesn't have any spare S1s, I do. Good luck getting it going right now.

If your switch is stuck at the prime and run position, you could probably mechanically hold open the fuel shutdown solenoid (zip tie, etc) while using the dead crank to get it going, and quickly flip the dead crank back to normal operation.

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If S1 is still in Prime/Run you ought to be able to start it using the dead crank switch and manually moving the Fuel Solenoid.
Pull out the Emergency Off button. Let fuel pump run for about 15 seconds.
With one hand fully retract the Fuel Solenoid and hold it there. With the other hand put the Dead Crank Switch in the Crank position. After the engine starts move the Dead Crank Switch to the NORMAL position. Then let go of the Fuel Solenoid. It ought to stay retracted and the engine should continue to run.
Assuming the gen head has enough residual magnetism the gen head should begin to produce electricity.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If S1 is still in Prime/Run you ought to be able to start it using the dead crank switch and manually moving the Fuel Solenoid.
With one hand fully retract the Fuel Solenoid and hold it there. With the other hand put the Dead Crank Switch in the Crank position. After the engine starts move the Dead Crank Switch to the NORMAL position. Then let go of the Fuel Solenoid. It ought to stay retracted and the engine should continue to run.
Assuming the gen head has enough residual magnetism the gen head should begin to produce electricity.
You beat my edit (y)

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another method is this, assuming S1 is in Prime/Run.
Use a jumper wire to touch S1 terminals 3 & 7. This is the equivalent of moving S1 to the Start position.
Once the set starts and oil pressure comes up remove the jumper. This method will flash the gen head to cause it to make power in case adequate residual magnetism is gone.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use a jumper wire to touch S1 terminals 3 & 7. This is the equivalent of moving S1 to the Start position.
Once the set starts and oil pressure comes up remove the jumper. This method will flash the gen head to cause it to make power in case adequate residual magnetism is gone.
Yeah always good to know the shortcuts. For those who are unaware, the pinout on the S1 is located in the -24 wiring layout. Attached below:

Untitled.png

gonzo119

S1 switch broke while in prime and run position. Tried to use a pair of pliers to start but the plastic is too worn. Pushed in the emergency stop switch to stop the fuel prime. Any ideas on how to start? Will dead crank start?
thank you!
Thank you! Appreciate everyone’s help!! The jumper wires did the trick! Spoke to Jmenede about getting the replacement and spare parts. Thanks again to everyone. 🙏🏻

Glenn H

@kloppk, I am in need of your expertise, Ray70 mentioned you in my thread, “Mep 803a won’t shut off”, I had Injector problems that we got taken care of, but did not know I needed a fuse on the Quad windings ( I will put a fuse in between the quad winding pens, can you tell me what fuse I need to place there?) Before I repaired the IP’s I had 240 volts on my volt meter, after the repair and start up the engine problem was solved but I no longer have voltage, I had to wind the starter longer than normal because the pumps were dry from being repaired, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks to you and Roy70

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@kloppk, I am in need of your expertise, Ray70 mentioned you in my thread, “Mep 803a won’t shut off”, I had Injector problems that we got taken care of, but did not know I needed a fuse on the Quad windings ( I will put a fuse in between the quad winding pens, can you tell me what fuse I need to place there?) Before I repaired the IP’s I had 240 volts on my volt meter, after the repair and start up the engine problem was solved but I no longer have voltage, I had to wind the starter longer than normal because the pumps were dry from being repaired, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks to you and Roy70
I just replied to your thread on the problem of no power with your set. You'll need to do some voltage checks so we can narrow down the problem.
Per the field sustsinment bulletin a FNQ-R-3 fuse is required. I have kits available for the modification with all the parts and instructions.

Kurt

Glenn H

I just replied to your thread on the problem of no power with your set. You'll need to do some voltage checks so we can narrow down the problem.
Per the field sustsinment bulletin a FNQ-R-3 fuse is required. I have kits available for the modification with all the parts and instructions.

Kurt
How do I get one of your kits?

Guyfang

Staff member
Glenn,

You need to try and keep your keep all your stuff in one thread. You could have gotten the same help, just by posting in your OTHER thread. If you start posting all over, in 2-or more threads, the same problem, its counter productive. To much info, scattered in too many threads. This thread is about S1 problems.

Glenn H

Glenn,

You need to try and keep your keep all your stuff in one thread. You could have gotten the same help, just by posting in your OTHER thread. If you start posting all over, in 2-or more threads, the same problem, its counter productive. To much info, scattered in too many threads. This thread is about S1 problems.
Sure will , I’m not sure how this thread got started, must have been something I did unknowingly. Thanks for the help.

Glenn H

Sure will , I’m not sure how this thread got started,
Glenn,

oh yes I see what you are saying, sorry Thanks for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks